Tool Black

Precise1

Here is something I ran across and decided to give a try. So far I have tested pieces of 4130 chromoly, several 1-2-3 blocks of unknown steel(china), a crowbar, crescent wrench, a wind chime and touched up the wear marks in the blueing on my makarov slide, all to reasonable+ results. Consider it a cold blueing without the heat, salts and more durable nature.

Essentially, the chemical is cupric nitrate mixed with selinous, hydrochloric and few other acids. It reacts with the surface of the metal to provide a crystaline/chemical barrier. The barrier is basically just a skin layer of the metal, very thin and darkens the metal to a blue black. Testing a precision ground piece of chromoly showed only .0001" growth, and it protects better with an initial coating of barrier (read oil).

This seems to be a good way to protect bare steel (stainless may not take to the treatment) for many projects and items. Craftsmen can use it for their work, welders can use it on their pieces, mechanics can use it on their tools. Anyone who has to deal with casual rust (I tend to transmit it) has a use for it.

The key seems to be the prep, just like painting. Degrease the bejesits out of the item(no petrolium solvents), and it should work ok. I doubt you need the cleaner and I have yet to crack the lid on the can of Prevent (used Starret M1 on a few items). Even coating of the solution will help the visual finish, and dipping would be ideal.

All the items I have 'blackened' took about 2-3 fl/oz of the 32 that I have. Oh, they claim it is readily paintable, but I haven't tried that yet. $60 for the kit at MSC or $25 for the solution alone...

Check it out and ask me what you will; I like the stuff...

http://www.victornet.com/productpages/toolblack1.html

B

kinda like ospho I guess...That stuff did wonders on the jeep and trailduster....suppossed to stop rust and chemically react to change it to something else and it turns black when its done...I think this stuff has a better protection plan than ospho I think the ospho is only after the rust has started...