Rcmp Warn Of Nissan Thieves In Lower Mainland

Trainman

Another public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood Trainman for those of you in the area.

RCMP warn of Nissan thieves in Lower Mainland

Police say 21 Nissans have been stolen since early June

Last Updated: Thursday, July 5, 2007 | 10:58 AM PT

CBC News

RCMP in Surrey, B.C., are warning Nissan owners in the Lower Mainland that thieves could be targeting their vehicles.

Twenty-one Nissans have been stolen throughout the region since early June and then left in the residential area of Newton in south Surrey, Cpl. Roger Morrow told CBC News on Wednesday.

Seven of the vehicles had been stolen from other places in the Lower Mainland including Richmond, Burnaby and Vancouver, Morrow said.

Investigators don't know what the cars were being used for, but the vehicles were turning up with no visible damage, he said.

"The cars are being stolen but they are being dumped and left for recovery," Morrow said.

"We're finding them a relatively short period of time later. So at least for the time being they are not being used for recycling or being used by a chop shop," he said.

Morrow said the thieves were specifically targeting Nissan cars from the 1980s to the 1990s — including such models as Pathfinder, Sentra, Altima and Maxima — as well as pickup trucks and SUVs.

He said police believe most vehicles were being taken between 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

Police are advising the public to use anti-theft devices to deter thieves.

Woah thanks for the update man, yeah a couple months back we had our work Dodge Ram stolen. Well I'm glad I've got the ICBC alarm insurance approval because nobody better touch my pathy :shiftyeyes:

Glad to help, I know there are a few members in the GVRD.

BTW, in our town auto theft has gone up 125% in the last couple of years, so The Club gets used on a regular basis along with the alarm.

Ever tried your key on another Pathy? Mine's opened several other Nissans at the junkyard. A 99 cent pocketknife with the right size blade will also open almost ANY 80's era Honda, Toyota, Nissan or what-have-you if you jiggle it enough. The driver's side door locks get sloppy cause they're the ones that get used 99% of the time.

not when your tumbler is frozen ahahhaha.

but serious, i can see how this is a problem. After all, pathfinders are nice trucks

a simple kill switch on a relay ought to prevent the vehicle being stolen. hopefully they won't trash the thing when they find out it won't start.

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to this fer sure

My pathy was stolen from a locked underground parking lot at 1pm.

Cool thing is, I told a bunch of people and my dad spotted the crackheads driving it, he called me, I then called the police, hopped in the girlfriends car and went to the last seen location....I came just in time to see the officer questioning the driver and even told him "hey thats my truck officer.

Was very nice to watch the thieves get hauled away in chains

Pathy took some paint damage on passenger door, door lock was mangled and they hotwired my ignition.

Other than than having all my tools and personal gear scattered everywhere, all was ok

Insurance covered it all and I even paid zero deductable :)

Worked out pretty well I would say :)

Edited by howlerman