Couple Noob Questions...

fuzzydawg

On my second Pathy - gave my 95 to my son in 02, it now has 244K miles and the only serious work on it was when the water pump blew chunks (he called me from the side of the highway, said "hey Dad, the engine is really leaking coolant AND oil... is that bad?). I've got a 99.5, bought it with 49K miles and now at 145K. My only claim to mechanical prowess with it, is I got all six plugs replaced (including that #*@!ing number 6) with only minor loss of skin and blood.

So, I'm ready to start some needed stuff like changing my brake pads. Thought I'd get some advice from y'all:

1. Who makes a better manual, Haynes or Chilton? Or should I go find a real Nissan service manual?

2. Can somebody tell me the minimum thickness of the front rotors? I'd rather not change them yet if I don't have to.

3. Any recommendation on brand of brake pads? I put Hawk HPS on another car, really like them... but is that overkill for a Pathy street daily driver with occasional offroad? I don't get into serious mud, or rock crawling (yeah, yeah, so I'm a wimp...), just driving through fields and up/down logging trails on my tree farm.

Thanks for any advice!

1. look around there is a link to a DL of an FSM on here somewhere. other then that i use haynes for everything and it'll get you through almost any job.. sometimes i have to look around and reread a few times but that's no biggy.

2. pretty sure they are stamped with min thickness on the inside.. how many miles on your truck? location?

3. what you can afford.