Need Clutch Help Quick

89pathfinder

Alright, yesterday i drove my pathy home and ran great, this morning started it up and drove out of my driveway onto the road and could immediatly feel the clutch starting to slip. I have known the clutch has been ****** for awile, and have been takin it pretty easy. Well now its at the point where i accelerate and i can feel it slipping.

So now i need to order a clutch soon. Where can i order a clutch online? And also i have been thinking of doing the project myself and am asking anyone who has done it or has helped do it how hard is it? Would i be better off pulling the tranny or the engine. How many friends should i have to help out? What do i need to complete the installation, and how long should it take if everything goes smoothly?

Also, about how long do i have before the clutch completely @!*%s the bed?

If you plan to keep the truck for a few more years, I recommend going with a factory OE Nissan clutch. They are probably the best you can get. Absolutely stay away from Centerforce. If your local dealer is one of those that use parts as their cash generator, do a little web surfing. There are many Nissan dealers that will sell you the parts for pretty darned good prices.

Easiest is to pull the trans. To pull engine, you need to pull front diff. You will need to remove transfer case to pull trans. It is a lot of work, but all doable. Not the easiest to tackle if you're a first timer, but if you have good mechanical sense and patience, you can do it. A couple friends to help lift and align the trans will be very helpful. It takes the pros the better part of a day to do it right, so figure on it taking you at least 2 or 3 days of patient and methodical work.

You will need friction disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing as a minimum. If flywheel is in very good shape, you can have it resurfaced. If it is noticeably scored, you should replace with new. It is also good idea to replace pilot bearing while you're in there. Do it all right, and she is ready to go for another 100-200k miles. Cut a corner or two, and you may be back in there within a year. Do it right, do it once.

I would park it now unless you are planning to replace the flywheel. When it is slipping, it is generating a lot of heat and that is very hard on the flywheel.

Maybe also the clutch master and slave cylinder could be replaced aswell... I would say that a kevlar clutch would outlast a nissan oem but $$$ is always a prevailing factor when discerning longevity. Also might I suggest a clutch alignment tool? I have gone through 3 clutches in the past 3 years, due to the fact that the 1st clutch job (2nd clutch while owning the vehicle) was done by a shoty, inexperienced mechanic who didn't do the throw out bearing. When I had it back in for the throw out bearing, the neglected the pressure plate and about a week later it lost it's "spring". So as mws said " do it right, do it once". Oh, about the time frame in which you have until the clutch is totaly toasted... well it starts to deteriorate exponentially once it starts to slip, So plan on other means of transportation for the time being.

I just used the NAPA oem replacement clutch and flywheels when i did it in my 87 and 95...the 95 right now has about 30k miles on the clutch since I replaced it and no problems...the only issue I had was the material used for the forks was different so the clutch was a lot easier to pus in I mean a LOT easier...

the 95 was the 3rd clutch I have done on a pathfinder (5th ever)and it took me 3 days at about a total of 15 hrs (1 extra day b/c i needed a rear main seal) and being Christmas time no1 had them in stock and/or wasnt open...

I would replace:

rear main seal

throw out bearing

pilot bushing

clutch

flywheel (or have it resurfaced but if u do that u will prob need to adjust the pusher bar under the dash)

inspect the oil pan gasket and drop the FA out and replace it if need be (i didn't do this on my 95 and it started leaking about 2or 3 month's afterwards)

but lots of extensions and U joints it will make the top 3 or 4 bolts a hell of a lot easier...try different combinations...i think i used a total of 3 6" (or an 18" extension" extensions and 2 3" extensions 2 U joints along with some shallow well and deep well sockets...If i recall the top most bolt I used 12" of extensions then a u joint then a 3" extension and a deep well socket and ran the wrench down the side of the tranny and it gave me good access for removal and installation...

I have yet to use a tranny jack for this project and I bet it would make it a lot easier...but a engine hoist through the pass side door with a floor jack or 2 under it seems to work decently for me (this last time it only took me about 20-30 mins to get the tranny to line up the 2nd time it took me about 2 hrs which i had no help on and my buddies camaro took me about 3 hrs by myself until i figured that if i released the pressure on the slave cylinder it makes life a lot easier....

my buddy had an sonoma that he drove on a slipping clutch for about 2 weeks after it started slipping...and it came apart on him...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...3&hl=clutch

Maybe also the clutch master and slave cylinder could be replaced aswell... I would say that a kevlar clutch would outlast a nissan oem but $$$ is always a prevailing factor when discerning longevity. Also might I suggest a clutch alignment tool? I have gone through 3 clutches in the past 3 years, due to the fact that the 1st clutch job (2nd clutch while owning the vehicle) was done by a shoty, inexperienced mechanic who didn't do the throw out bearing. When I had it back in for the throw out bearing, the neglected the pressure plate and about a week later it lost it's "spring". So as mws said " do it right, do it once". Oh, about the time frame in which you have until the clutch is totaly toasted... well it starts to deteriorate exponentially once it starts to slip, So plan on other means of transportation for the time being.

The slave cylinder was just recently replaced when my clutch pedal dropped to the floor, aparently it blew or something and i lost all of the fluid. The mechanic said everything else looked good so im not worried about it. And the clutch comes with an alignment tool.