Cig Locker (has Anyone Done It?)

terra88

Hey all,

Just thought i'd ask the question, I have a spare rear diff and as i'm changing the current one from drum to disc i am tempted to weld the centre shut :crossedwires: making it a locker. I have heard of people doing it on cars but not sure about 4b's, has anyone done it and did they break driveshafts etc etc...

no. you will not wear your tires like crazy unless you drive like a crazy person. all that will happen is that you will "chirp" your tires thru turns. keep the tires rotated and im sure you wont even notice the wear.

Having welded a diff on a RWD car once before myself, I can tell you that driving characteristics will be altered somewhat...when taking curves at higher speeds, the rear will track differently. It will be tough to make sharp turns in parking lots. If you have a manual transmission and downshift while moving at too high of a speed, both rear tires can lock at the same time and send you into a skid, particularly in rain or snow.

Works great for offroading, though. :)

:hide:

Love it when I start a heated debate ... lol

So I understand the carpark driving will be a bitch but with the high speed characteristics , Where I live the roads are fast and windy .... How does it change it ? does it make it a pig to drive ?