Vq Or Vg

VQ or VG  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Given the chance, which vehicle/engine would you go for? Consider problems with both models.

• Newer R50 3.5 VQ
    • Previous R50 3.3 VG

VG owners have easy access to spark plugs.

VQ owners also have easy access to their spark plugs, but only when they are replacing faulty ignition coils.

booty.gifmoon.gifbooty.gifmoon.gifbooty.gifmoon.gif

Edited by FUELER

I have enjoyed my VQ. I have put over 101,000 miles on mine since new and I've yet to change any spark plugs or ignition coils. I guess its time to look into the spark plugs.

On the other hand, I have no doubt the VG engine is just as reliable. I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Having both in my stable right now, I have to say that the abuse the VG takes is phenominal, however as mentioned, it's very underpowered compared to the 01. I have had multiple sensor failures on my 01, all of which have been greatly annoying on the road, though they never left us stranded thankfully.

They include:

MAF - now using cheaper maxima MAF

Both intake timing sensors - $80 a pop

Transmission issues

Changed TCM

Changed solenoid pack

Add to that the cheap ass Bose (clarion) 6 pack changer which has the ERR2 issue that I will not be sending in for repair, a nasty oil leak from the oil cooler and it all tallies up to a vehicle that has brought but a mere fraction of the reliability of the 97, now at 305,000 kms, compared to 179XXX km's on the '01.

I dont have near the experience that alot of you guys have but before I bought my 02 i drove a 00 xterra, 03 xterra s/c, 00 pathy and mine of course the 02, i also scared the sh@t out of the salesman when i popped the trucks over a curb behind Autzen stadium and drove in the dirt and gravel (boy was that fun) the 00 x to me was a dog and i didnt really like the feel of that one, the 03 had a ton of get up and go and was appointed well but to me wasnt worth the 21k price tag they had on it, but it still felt narrow and not so planted if that makes sense, the 00 pathy was a little weak but felt much better than the x and then well theres mine so you know which way i went there. if I knew about the lack of aftermarket parts for the pathy i may have almost leaned toward the sc x instead but the mileage i heard was just ass.

I hope that helps a bit :) I love my VQ and with my maxima experience will swear by that motor even with the 2k max with its crap dek intake plenum issues.

Edited by Jarsiff

I really like the HIDs or projectors or whatever those headlights are on the newer QX4s, but you know you want another crack at making the VG go. I'd say you cant go wrong either way, but what I would really like to do is put a new qx4 front clip on my old 97. Hopefully some new updates on my VG will be done by the end of the summer.

Sure did. It went 200k miles. Its sucked up water, mud, sand and other crap. Funny you bring that up because you hear of a VQ splashing through a puddle and hydrolocking. Now when your VQ goes 200k without a hitch come talk to me again.

You just had to bring that up didn't you?!

My new VQ is still running quite nicely.

Edited by Orangetang

New for me has always been autowrecker.

Getting back on topic. I think the VQ is an excellent engine. I don't think I would enjoy the Pathfinder as much with a VG in it. As for the hydrolocking, any engine will hydrolock if you manage to get water in the intake. My situation was just bad luck. When I researched vehicles before buying the NIssan, the VQ was one of the main selling points for me. It's an award winning engine for a reason. Light, powerfull and fairly economic. I'll bet it's as reliable as a VG if proper maintenance and care is give to it. I'm getting 22mpg on this engine, with about 200 pounds of extra stuff haning off the bumper.