Odor When Ac Runs In 97 Pathy

I just bought my 97 in April and lately when I run the ac there is a bad mildew-like smell. Has anyone else had this problem? I googled this problem and read on a VW forum that if you run the heat full blast with the windows down for 10 minutes that this will burn out the mildew or whatever is causing the odor. Anyone else have any tips?

There likely is mildew buildup inside of the vents from moisture being collected.

It's worth a try on the heater. I've never had that problem, but then again, my AC hasn't worked in like 3 years...LOL

Mine used to do this. Make sure you don't have an in cabin filter that is covered in mildew.

I turned on my AC on full blast and turned the recirculation off. Go outside the car and you can hear the air being sucked in right below the windshield wipers. I sprayed a good amount of odor killer (Lysol or similar) in there while it was running.

We used to use lysol also. We would spray it into the intake for the ventilation system. Then, we would not use the AC for a few days just using the vent and repeat the lysol treatment. That usually took care of it. We usually have pretty low humidity here in northern cali so the ducts would dry out. Good for getting the smell out of the vents on a smokers car too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you can also use cat & dog spot/odor remover with enzymes. it breaks down mildew and other stinky stuff...yes it will work on your shoes too! =P i used this for my celica since i had the same problem with the AC...worked like a charm.

I had the same problem with my '92. I went thru lysol, fabreeze you name it. I finally got fed up and grabbed the drain tube inside of the engine compartment and blew in it. Something popped like a glob of goo let loose. I started the engine, ran the ac and a big clump of muck worked it's way out the drain tube. Sound's stupid, but it worked.

let me ask something. is there any cabin filter on our cars? I checked and couldn't find it. if there is, it is very normal to have a bad odor.(mine has too) But there is a possibility that leak of antifreeze inside cabin under dash can cause similar effect.(easy to understand - if it looses antifreeze and no white smoke at exhaust)