Water-proofing

daver123

Ok, not that I intend to get into water this deep, but as a precaution I would like to water-proof the ECU and anything else that is particularly vulnerable to water that is crucial to the main workings of the vehicle, besides obviously the air-intake. I was wondering, if any of you out there have done this, what it is that you did to water-proof the ECU and/or anything else?

Pull the passenger side seat, pull up the carpet, then disco the ground wire for the ECU and unwrap the wiring so you can move it into the glove box. :D Make sure you re-attach the ground wire somewhere solid. Lots of people have done it.

building a snorkel was pretty easy. cost me about 35 bucks for materials at lowe's. thanks by the way chris for your ecu relocation thread the last time you posted it, that's how i did mine. took a good part of the day doing the snorkel but not to bad. i'm happy with the results. now i just have to waterproof things under the hood if i ever get a weekend to work on it.

Edited by aries247

this is the best one i have for right now. nothing to fancy under the fender. i'll get pics of under fender this weekend, because it's hard to explain. first pic is before the suspension lift and 33's.

REMODLE.jpg

pathfinder001.jpg

pathfinder002.jpg

pathfinder003.jpg

pathfinder004.jpg

Edited by aries247

• 2 weeks later...

aries thats a good lookin truck! Same color as mine but sits pretty nice. What is your lift/tire combo? Any more pics? Are those cooper stt's? IT appears to be different tires in the last pics opposed to the first one. here's my email for pics speedbuggy67@netzero.net good stuff. I did the same snorkel mod but didn't have it exit the fender like you did and didn't remove the fender to do it i reused the facotry elbow fr the silencer box and ran 2in pvc twards the fender hinges for additional air to the box. I still have thought of running another 2in pvc from the front hole of the box to the door hinges. I don't ever plan on going through windshield deep water but fear the "bow wake" when entering andgoing through water hence why i decide to suck the air from the hinge area. Nice pics and good mod.

Scott

hey speedbuggy67. the tires are toyo open country mt's 33x12.5 on 15x8 black soft 8's (not crager). lift is 3" body, rough country uca's with torsion bars cranked up for close to 3" lift in front. with the snorkel when i first did it i did like you and ran it to the door hinge area until i got the nerve to cut the fender hole out. the bad thing about running it to the hinge area is the spray from the tires when it rains here in washington state. i will hopefully get more pics. this weekend when and if i go with a couple of members from my area up wheelin this weekend. ***edit*** the first pic is with 31's on 15x10's.

Edited by aries247

i hear ya on the misting from teh tires but im still running the fender liner and i cut the pvc ina slash cut so it should be ok as i ive check the airbox after a DEEP water crossing (tires covered) and no prob plus heavy jersey rains so far so good. One day maybe i'll cut the fender but til then.... BTW any more pics of the truck back together with the toyos'? They look just like the cooper STT's. how bad did mileage drop wtih that combo? I'd imagine to 15 or so.

Scott

i'll have to check the camera to see if any pictures are on there of it back together. ok seeing that the wife has since moved the camera from where it was to somewhere else and now i can't find it. i will have to check it later. if not i will take a couple tomorrow. mileage just sucks. i don't know what it was before because i never really paid attention to it. but it's probably around 15 if even that. but i haven't done a tune-up in awhile either.

Edited by aries247

Thanx for all the good idea's, one has to wonder if you can stick the ECU in the dash yourself why the designers didn't put it there when they built the truck.