Wd21 Pathfinder Newbie With Questions

Hi, everyone. I’m new to Pathfinders, but not to cars or Nissans. I’ve recently been looking for something to use as a daily driver/parts shuttle for my other projects and I found something that’s interesting – a 93 XE 2WD with 250K on the clock that is being offered to me for $500. I do have some questions about it before I purchase it, and I thought this might be a good place to ask. I have used the search function before I posted this, and couldn’t find any answers.

1. The previous owner was trying to change out the water pump and botched the job; he couldn’t figure out how to get the lower timing cover off, so he cut most of it off, then gave up. Unfortunately for him, the vehicle was then repossessed by the dealer that he’d just bought it from. Unfortunately for me, that means that a lot of parts are missing. Will a timing belt cover set from a Maxima or 300ZX fit and work?

2. The ignition switch/lock flops around in the column housing and doesn’t turn, though it is the right key for the car. Has anyone had this problem? How much of a pain is this to replace? What kind of expense am I looking at?

3. The battery was out of the one I looked at and it’s been a while since I had a chance to drive one at night – what color is the instrument illumination?

Thanks in advance for any help y’all can give.

It's not going to get good gas mileage, if that's what you were looking for initially. 15 city, 18 highway in stock like-new shape. The Max/300Z covers are different IIRC, sorry.

Oh, no, I wasn't expecting it to get good gas mileage. I know it's not going to get good mileage at all. I'm just looking for something reliable to trundle parts and such around in. I'd wandered off into domestic vehicles for daily driver duty and been sorely disappointed.

i think the top cover of a maxima will work but the lower half is different due to the different water pump castings...i can look around i might have an extra upper and lower cover i could sell ya cheap...but it may ahve already been scrapped

I cannot imagine why the lower cover would be hard to get off, maybe the prior owner was a complete dumbass. All it is is a bunch of 8mm bolts.

Well, apparently he was an idiot:

IMG_1349.jpg

Edited by GhostPath

You can get what you need to put it back to gether at wrecking yards.. if they have some pathys in and if they let go of engine parts without buying the whole engine. Some do, some don't, you just have to look around and ask.

Change the timing belt while your at it ;)

The locks cost will be minimal if you get them from a wrecking yard (any parts needed that is) and do it yourself.