Cat Options

Zilverado

So I'm wondering what to do replacing my cat (it's rattling inside). Do I spend the big money ($300 to $400) and go with an OEM (with flanges) or do I spend under $100 for one I just clamp in. I was also debating just going with a straight pipe, but that would likely cause my O2 sensor to freak out and give me a "Check Engine" light?

What have the rest of you done?

Thanks in advance.

I replaced mine with a high flow cat but it was around $350. I forget who makes it. It came from a company in CA. I had two cats. I replaced the precat with a straight pipe.

I don't have a cat. Funny you should mention the o2 sensor though. I did the exhaust a year ago and there were no issues. my o2 sensor just went on me a couple weeks ago, i don't think its related though - probably an old sensor.

i know they make an O2 simulator for my car, but i have never heard of it for suvs although i havened owned an suv for very long.

The o2 sensor on a WD21 is located before the cat, so once (if) the cat is removed, the o2 sensor remains in place and operates normally.

Edited by LD50

The o2 sensor on a WD21 is located before the cat, so once (if) the cat is removed, the o2 sensor remains in place and operates normally.

That's a good point, I forgot about that. I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks for all the advice.

I found an old O2 sensor in my garage the other day if someone wants it. I won't be needing it.

:blink: does/did it work? if so, i'll take it!

I never tried it, its never been wired. PM me your addy and its yours. I have to go to UPS tomorrow anyway.

IIRC I think the directions for wiring is there too.

Edited by slimer