Handling Quirk Solved

mws

From day one of my ownership, little red had an annoying handling quirk. The rear end would feel like it was steering side to side while accelerating. At every shift, she would do a little side to side sashay - never enough to steer me out of my lane, but enough that I could feel it and anyone driving it would question or comment on it. It felt somewhat spooky.

She had over 200K miles, a lock rite, and a body lift. 31" tires. JGC springs, good shocks.

After a thorough inspection to assure there was nothing bent or broken, I started attacking it. With all the miles, I figured some TLC was in order. Shocks are fine.

First thing I did was replace every single bushing in the rear suspension. Helped, but still sashayed. Did a full rebuild of front suspension and steering. Still sashayed.

Starting to think it was related to the lock rite and lift and something I'd just have to live with.

I need to haul a heavy load off the hitch in a couple months, so I finally crawled up under there to put the rear sway bar back on.

Voila! Problem solved! Now she acclerates straight and true. And corners with noticeably surer footing.

The bad news is that I will have to mention this as a possible risk when removing rear sway bars!

Guest SuperSon

hmm..note to self.Need to put my sway bar's back on

Thanks for that tech tip again Martin

That is strange. I've had my rear sway-bar removed with a locker for quite a while and never noticed anything like you described. The only way my sway bar would go back on my truck is if someone broke into my garage and reinstalled it as a joke. :crossedwires:

I can however lift a front tire off the ground while accelerating from a stop while the front wheels are turned... Kinda spooky the first time it happened.

• Like 1

Seems like quick disconnects are becomming more appropriate.

Glad you figured it out Martin. Mine has some movement also, but I'm certain it is the bushings.

B

I think the presence of the locker is a significant factor.

Quick disconnects? Yep!

Spent more time brainstorming last night. My latest concept is to replace the passenger side link with a "hinged" link with the lock/unlock being operated by a cable. Think of a 1920's style friction damper, with a spring loaded dogged pin arrangement.

\

/

Pull the cable (or actuate solenoid or air cylinder) and the dogs are disengaged so the link is free to pivot so it varies in effective length. This effectively eliminates any sway bar action. Push the cable in and a spring pushes against the dogs. As soon as the pivot sweeps past the right point (probably at about a 90 degree angle), the dogs engage preventing the link hinge from pivoting so it is now a rigid link. The link arms will have to be much beefier than stock to prevent flex, but doable.

Still designing the actuator/dog part to be easily manufactured AND to have as close to absolute zero play as possible. Nothing I have come up with can be done nearly as cheaply as the pin style, but maybe there will be a market for a more expensive disconnect if it can be remotely operated.