Transfer Case

PATHFINDER95NI

Gentlemen

My 95/5spd was starting to make rubbing sounds, kind of like when the tire is too big and is rubbing against the front part of the plastic fender flare, more like low frequency growling sounds decelerating in second downshifting into first. Turns out the T-case needs a rebuild per Empire Nissan here in Denver. They want about $2k to do the rebuild so its looking like I might be doing it myself. The thing is I saw the CALMINI reduction gear set and was thinking since I was going to be in there I might as well get those gears. What do you guys think? Will the gears mess with the driveability of the mostly street driven truck? Is there an online place that can do the rebuild, with all the case mods needed for the swap Im not sure if I can trust a shop here to do it, plus they would charge me up the arse to do custom work.

Thanks

Nicholas

Unless you go extreme offroading (read: rock crawling) or have special need for extra low gearing, you shouldn't get the Calmini T-case gears. They're horribly expensive and won't benefit you at all if your Pathy is street-driven. Just do a standard rebuild on the t-case. Perhaps you could find a junkyard t-case for less than the cost of rebuild parts...they rarely go out like yours did. :)

Well I have been out a few times where I was thinking that the low gear is not really so low, but that happens maybe ten trips a year. The price does seem to be pretty expensive for gears.

Yeah Im not sure why the T-case went out, kinda seems like that would be that last thing to be rebuilt since its not used as much.

Nick

I think I'd get a 2nd opinion. Are the growling sounds constant or do they vary with your speed. What happens when you are driving and you put the tranny in neutral?

I had a problem with that sound, only once, and it was after I had switched out of 4Hi, back into 2WD. But I got out, and walked beside the truck as my friend rolled it slowly forward, and it turns out that one of my hubs wasn't fully disengaging. I put it back into 4HI, then disengaged again, and all was well. Maybe the dealer is trying to hose you out of 2G's when all you need is new hubs?

Just a thought.