Goin' to Pismo Beach, CA dunes

mickyficky

I'm heading out to the sand dunes this weekend. Any suggestions? Never done any serious sand driving. Anyone been there?

Also, my CV boots are torn... + sand = :oops:

How about tose zipper boots as a quick temporary fix??

Can you get those in stores or only online??

:beer:

Have some fun but depending on tires you will be workin hard to go around in the back. I run 14psi out there and do good but the all terrains work better than a mudder in the sand. If it raned there like it did here the sand will be packed and you can romp everywhere no issues.

Also, my CV boots are torn... + sand =  :oops:

Probably to late but I would have recommended that you do a proper boot replacement on those CV's before you go... even if that means canceling the trip. IMO one day of fun is probably not worth the cost of new CV's :nono:

^ Agreed, the sand really finds a way to get into everything, inside, under, and in, especially around the brake and suspension areas. If you can, run on some more compact sand toward shore (if there is one) rather than near the dunes.

-bounce- woohooo! now yer talkin my language!

1. AIR DOWN

2. fix the boots.... as above, sand gets EVERYWHERE (trust me.. i KNOW) :rolleyes:

3. watch out for idiots flying over blind dunes

4. keep ANYTHING of value INSIDE your tent/rv.. lotta theives out there, and when caught, they don't play nice....

5. please obey the speed limit on the ebach of 15mph.... and watch for stupid people who DON'T

6. HAVE FUN!!!!!!

and :nono: -alcohol- drivingskid.gif

here's some pics of pismo when we go. we go every labor day sly

Oceano Dunes

AND #1 THING TO REMEMER!!!! DO NOT. let someone tell you which way to go through the creek!!!!!!! many a truck has been lost to the creek. watch others go through and follow.... don't mess around in there.... it could cost you your truck.

Go through at LOW TIDE... and go SLOW. there are many dangerous drop off's if you do not pay attention.

Edited by Slick

Adding to the above tips:

1) As said above, AIR DOWN! Anything more than 16psi is way too high. 10-12psi is where you want to be when driving on sand. Airing down even further (to 6-8psi) can also help, since your vehicle weight will be spread across more tire tread, allowing for more flotation on the sand, but you'll risk blowing a bead.

2) Bring recovery gear (at least a tow strap and a shovel) in case you do get stuck.

3) If you start to bog down, STOP IMMEDIATELY! Don't spin the wheels! You're about to get stuck! You may need to shovel the sand in front of or behind the tires so you can get moving.

4) Do not use 4LO. You really need to keep those tires spinning to drive in sand. 4LO puts too much torque to the wheels at low speeds, and it doesn't allow you to drive fast enough to keep your momentum.

Thanks everyone!! :beer:

Great tips...

As far as the CV boots go, I've been told by two shops that they don't replace the CV boots without replacing the CV joints. Is this common?

If so, is there any reason NOT to go out to the dunes with torn boots, let the sand get in there and not care about it, then come back and IMMEDIATELY get the boots and joints replaced???

In other words, do the CV boots protect anything other than the CV joints???? And would letting sand get in there cause damge to other parts???

Thanks again everyone!!!

I'll post some pics.....

:bow:

Kragens wesite says they don't have that part for my Pathy

I found a guy to do it (friend of a friend that owns a shop) for $180 per axle (including new boot and joint)

He'll have it done before the dunes.....

Seems a little pricey but A) I'm in So. Cal and

B) the stealership quoted $300 per axle..... :mellow:

So, I'm back to the quick boots....AutoZone and Kragen say they don't have them for a 1995 Pathfinder......anyone know for sure????

anyone actually use these???

HELP...the minutes are disapearing.... :deadhorse:

So, I'm back to the quick boots....AutoZone and Kragen say they don't have them for a 1995 Pathfinder......anyone know for sure????

anyone actually use these???

HELP...the minutes are disapearing.... :deadhorse:

try A/C (omg i can't believe i said that!).... and wtf. kragens don't have em... they have em fer my 92....... :/

Woo Hooo!!!!!

The new boots and NEW (not rebuilt) joints are on the Pathy!!

Friendly mechanis did it quick for $360 and sixer of Newcastle...

Heading to the dunes today with a couple trucks full of beer!!! (with a Nissan Titan 4x4 too)

Thanks for the help :beer:

I'll post some pics....

By the way Slick, I think it was just Kragens crappy online parts finder that could't find the quick boots

By the way Slick, I think it was just Kragens crappy online parts finder that could't find the quick boots

ahhhhh. yeah, it won't show em online. I had to go in there n ask em. have fun!!!!!! be SAFE!!!!