Calmini steering upgrade.

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Is this a straightforward install? Need to jack up the truck remove front tires for easy access to the idler arm and pittman arms.? anything that I should be removing besides the steering system?

Thanks

Guest SuperSon

any trick on the notorious PITA pittman arms? Im soaking it with pb right now I dont know if it helps any.

I'd try to take the pitman arm off first. If you can't get it off with a small puller, try to find a bigger, stronger puller, maybe from an auto parts place that loans/rents them. One of the problems getting off the big pitman arms is finding a socket or wrench big enough to reliably take off the damn nut holding it on. ;)

I was gonna suggest getting a wrench for that massive nut in advance, but 88 beat me to it. Most pipe wrenches will open up enough to grab it, if you don't mind a little scarred up nut and can't find the wrench you need for sale anywhere.(I can't remember what mm it is.)

Guest SuperSon

Sonova nutcracker! That nut is on there. Im going to have to spray more pb and leave it overnight and get a pipe to slide over the pipe wrench handle and give me more leverage.

Im going to autozone tomorrow and rent a pitman arm puller is it right?

Thanks for the tip guys.

I never thought this wrench would come in handy.Sure dont work for S##t on pipes tho

pwrench.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

Hi-Lift Jack Handle works well on the other end of the pipe wrench.... Just dont let Oliver use it.... :contract:

At least not when your within striking distance? :D

Heat if need be, just don't toast the box ;) I had one that gave me a hell of a time. It was in a wrecking yard, even they could not get it off. Busted my puller, bent the handle on a fork they had (they did not care about the box)

When they gave up, the end of the box shaft was seriously screwed up. I took the box home, cut the end of the shaft off and went to town on trying to get the PA off. 2hrs later I got it... but what a PITA it was :blink:

Hopefully, yours is not like that :nono:

Guest SuperSon

Soon as In get the nut off im taking it to autozone to make sure I get the right width puller or they may have a set with different jaw sizes.

pathy are you saying that I can use an impact on the long bolt on that pa puller?

Yeah I have done it with all of them. It was the easiest way and I didn't have to break a sweat with a breaker bar. Air or electric both worked. When my buddy did his steering the arm would not budge with a breaker bar on the puller it would actually twist the puller off. The impact worked in like 5 seconds.

I used a puller & an impact wrench and it came right off....other than that the install is pretty straight forward, just make sure when you install the new ends in the Calmini centerlink you install them exactly to the measurements in the instructions, I used a caliper, to be dead on. Then when you align it you will have an even amount of adjustment room on both sides.