Weather Sealing

My 89 Pathfinder has developed two seriously annoying problems. I read one of them breifly in another topic, but never saw a solution.

The only way I can describe the first problem is to say my weatherstripping has gone bad on my two doors. The result is a rattling window if it is in any position other than all the way up. I have ventshade in-channel visors which mean if the windows are less than two inches open, my windows are rattling against a hard surface. I have been quoted around $200 for new weatherstripping for each window. Is there another solution that I can try? If not, where could I find a better deal?

The second problem is the one I read previously. Snow over the front cowls, turn on the fan, snow blown all over my interior. I know this is a fairly recent change in my pathy's behavior, I just don't have any clue what to replace to make it stop.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by ACLoki1989

The second problem is the one I read previously. Snow over the front cowls, turn on the fan, snow blown all over my interior. I know this is a fairly recent change in my pathy's behavior, I just don't have any clue what to replace to make it stop.
Maybe stretch a couple layers of pantyhose under the cowl?

I have ventshade in-channel visors which mean if the windows are less than two inches open, my windows are rattling against a hard surface...

...Is there another solution that I can try?

Mine do the same but I have found that (at least in my case) it is not due to the weather stripping being bad... at least not entirely ...My windows shifts front to back a little and if I grab the window and push it back it solves the rattle problem. it is then all the way in the seal irather than riding on the outer(front) edge of it.

If it is just the sound that you are concerned with you could put some sticky back (or use spray on adhesive) felt on the visor to give the window a padded surface to sit against.

Or lower the window an extra half inch.

Sadly I have been just lowering it more. I got sick of the Nissan pulley style regulators that kept breaking on me and actually replaced them with Saturn scissor style ones I had lying around. (Wife had an SC-1 that I installed power windows, locks and keyless on) When I installed the new regulators it got rid of the teetering front to back motion that you are describing, but the things still jiggle in and out. :(

I have to take my doors apart to do some upkeep soon. I think I will try the felt idea unless someone else has had better luck fixing this.

Thanks!

Expanding on the felt idea, try some moleskin from the pharmacy (sold to cover blisters). It uses longer fibers so should last much longer before wearing through.

Edited by mws

Moleskin huh? Interesting. Since I have tried putting various things in the track and failed, I was hoping to find a cleaner solution. If I can't, I will certainly try adding another spacer in.

• 2 weeks later...
Expanding on the felt idea, try some moleskin from the pharmacy (sold to cover blisters). It uses longer fibers so should last much longer before wearing through.

Going to first aid kit to grab the moleskins....nice thought!