Throwing Codes

NismoSkyZ

Hey, I just checked out my SES light and it was throwing three codes. P0440, P0446, and P0446 System Vent Circuit. Wtf is the system vent circuit? I'm an EVAP n00b.

Stupid answer: check your gas cap.

Enginerd Answer: You've either got a short circuit in your EVAP Electrical Control system, or one of the venting/purging valves has gone bad. Check the Vent Control Valve that is located on the EVAP Canister, and the Purge Control Valve (Not to be confused with the PCV Valve) that is in the engine bay.

It's also possible that you have a line-leak somewhere in the system, so if the valves check-out, you may want to have the system pressure tested.

Also, I had a bad connection in my Throttle Position Sensor which was making my Vent Control Valve go haywire, and causing the ECM to throw an EVAP Code...it did not throw any codes related to the TPS.

There is a LONG list of check items in the FSM for these DTCs, but I would start at the above places. If those aren't the issue, let me know.

There's a pretty long list of causes for the P0440, but when you get the P0440 and the P0446 together you only need to worry about the P0446 which points to the vent control valve on the EVAP canister.

So the list of causes is much easier to check:

Harness or connectors - EVAP vent control valve

EVAP vent control valve

EVAP pressure sensor

Blocked rubber tube to the vent control valve.

Pretty common that the vent control valve is stuck and not moving. See if you can get it off the canister and test with a 12V battery across the connections, you should see it move. If not clean it out and see if that gets it moving.

But on my 97 the valve wouldn't come off the canister, the nuts inside the canister just spun. I had the same codes and replaced both the canister and valve, haven't had any problems since.

Thanks for the help everyone, I would appreciate it if someone told me where the EVAP vent control valve canister, and pressure sensor are. I have a feeling that it's a crack in the gas hose because I smell gas from time to time after driving for a while. Ooh so many problems. P...

under the rear bumper on the drivers side.

Is that true for a 97? IIRC the 96/97 had the canister under the hood? Mine was under the rear bumper but I remember reading posts about earlier r50's having it under the hood. :shrug: