Rear Drum removal

jdub

Well, I now have a broken stud on teh left rear wheel. I have a new stud, just need to get the broken one out. MY problem is that I can't get the rear drum off. I can't figure out how to use the adjuster to loosen the pads away from the drum.

Need to get this done so I can go camping Memorial day weekend. Might even do a brake job while I have it apart.

:help:

If your parking brake is not on, your brake shoes should not be holding the drum on. It's definately a snug fit and takes some work to remove but you probably need to do a bit of prying and hammering to ease it off. If you get it cockeyed even a little bit, it'll bind-up on ya. Smack the drum a few times from all angles to break it loose from the axle. You may be able to rig a press to pull on your drum and press against a plate sitting across your studs. Once you get it open, make sure you adjust your shoes so you can get it back on easily. Drum brakes definately need brute-finesse :)

e-brake wasn't set. I beat the living snot out of it and still nothing. I tried prying it off with a big a$* screw driver, nothing. There are two bolt holes that the book says to put two bolts into to force the drum off, thats my next shot tonight after work. Just didn't know if I was missing anything.

dang... you have a toughie :confused: . I've had my drums off a couple times and never had too much trouble. Good luck with the bolts. let us know how it goes.

It should be easy. And those two bolt holes are for REAL small bolts, be prepared to break one off in the drum if it's too hard to remove.

To loosen the rear brake adjuster:

1. Remove small oval shaped rubber plug at base of backing plate behind the drum brakes.

2. Use a flashlight to look inside and ID the adjuster wheel. It has a thin metal stop plate slightly above and outboard of the wheel itself.

3. Use a small-thin screwdriver to push outward on the adjuster stop plate while using a larger flat screwdriver to unscrew the adjuster wheel itself. You need to turn the adjuster wheel in the direction of the stop plate, they're only meant to adjust tighter unless you're keeping the stop plate pushed off the adjuster.

This should allow your brake pads to be backed off enough to loosen their grip on your drum.

Hmmm, in my Hayne's Manual it doesn't show an adjuster wheel. I thought it was odd knowing that was how most drum breaks had to begin with.

Do you know if the axle had to be pulled to change the studs?

Well, once I put in those two bolts and started to thread them it the drum popped off no problem. Stud went in without having to remove the axle shaft. My brake adjustment screw is top dead center of the axle, not where its supposed to be according to the book and there was no rubber gromet to remove.

Yeah it was still a PITA to get a screw driver into. It is a narrow oval shaped opening.

According to the book it was supposed to be bottom left where the rubber gromet is located. And there was actually a gromet there.