Alternator issue

barthel

Ok, I was taking the alternator out (my 90 amp Maxima alty is on the way) -bounce-

Bracket came off fine, the top bolt came out easily as well, but the damn thing doesn't want to come off, it just rocks back and forth on the pivot.

How long is the top bolt supposed to be? The one I took out was only about 2 inches long. It doesn't look like it sheared or is broken, but that's the only thing I can think of unless i missed something.

Any help would be appreciated. :bow:

Yep, a total of three bolts

K,

Suddenly realizing I may be a serious dumbass, where's the 3rd bolt? sssh

There was one holding the bracket to the block, and the top pivot bolt. There's a bolt that holds it to the adjuster bracket, but that came off with the bracket.

on the bottom side theres 1 on the front and back...my back bolt sheared off 3 times so the last time i said screw it...luckly they engineered it (intentional or not) that if teh bottom bolts shear off u can tighten the bad boy down and it'll rest against the block and still have tension on the belt...

so total of 5 bolts u have to touch 1 top mtg (pivot bolt) 2 on the bottom side...the adjuster bolt and the bolt that locks the adjuster block...

Well, I got it out.

The 90A doesn't get here 'till Tuesday or Wednesday. But since I have the whole front of the engine apart (timing belt, water pump) I figured I'd get the old one out while it was easy.