Timing Belt Job Question

robbie

Hi. I have read various posts on the T-Belt job and followed all the provided resources for getting most of the parts. I have 3 things that I need some clarification on. Oil Seal, Crankshaft Seal, and Main Seal? What are these and is it a must do for the T-Belt maintenance?

I just ordered everything else through 5 different online vendors and I'm hoping to get them soon. Just a bit nervous cuz I've never taken an engine apart before. I just hope I don't jack anything up.

Edited by robbie

I've done the belt change twice, and never touched any of the seals. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, in that case. I have over 300,000 kms on my truck and I have no leaks.

It's usually the camshaft seals, IIRC that people replace when doing a T-belt change.

I agree with Simon, "if it ain't broke dont fix it" I bought both cam seals and the crankshaft seal before attempting the job just incase. After I pulled the front of the engine apart and looked at the seals I determined none of them were leaking. The job itself is really not that hard, if you do a search there is a fantastic step-by-step write up on exactly how to do it and what you will need to do it. Just remember to keep everything in line for timing purposes. Good luck and keep us updated!! If you have problems or questions there is always someone here who can answer them.

For clarification, both the cam and crank seals are oil seals. If you are confident around an engine this job isn't bad, as long as none of the bolts break and you have proper tools. Also, as stated, be very sure to align the timing marks properly before removing the belt, good luck.

Guest SuperSon

Dont forget to label the bolts that holds the tbelt cover.That seems to be overlooked by some .

I agree with simons theory of " If it aint broke dont fix it" I learned on my nissan to leave things alone if theyre working just fine besides I cant pull the darn crankshaft gears to replace the seal .

Warning: Dont apply that theory on the TBelt tho. :D

good luck and you can do it

Edited by SuperSon

I also wanted to add that even though the little coolant bypass hose may not leak or look worn replace it anyway, I imagine it must get pretty hot in there so that hose could rupture. Besides you do not want to overlook that and have to take the front of the engine apart because of that 3.00 tiny hose.

Guest SuperSon
I also wanted to add that even though the little coolant bypass hose may not leak or look worn replace it anyway, I imagine it must get pretty hot in there so that hose could rupture. Besides you do not want to overlook that and have to take the front of the engine apart because of that 3.00 tiny hose.

Another good point Z ( forgot to change mine :hide: ). I believe this is the hose

coolanthose1.jpg

That is the hose.

My program is to change:

The belt every 60K,

The water pump and tensioner every other time (120K or so)

The bypass hose at least every 10 years. T

The cam seals only when weeping or every 20 years....

Haven't considered the crank seal yet.

Guest SuperSon

I changed my tbelt ,tensioner cam seals (except the crankshaft seal) waterpump thermostat since this is the first time Im replacing them since ive owned it, this way I can keep track and record all of those parts that I replaced. Now I know that its been replaced instead of trying to guess when it was last done by the previous owner.

I need to change that bypass hose this weekend and probably repaint the tbelt covers too while its out.

Mws I just remembered that since Im headin out at the JY tomorrow do you still need that harmonic balancer and pulley for you project 87 I think?

I seen a 89 with the pulley and balancer so I though id ask and if you need it ill pull it out. :beer:

Edited by SuperSon

Thanks for all the responses guys. You guys make this site AWESOME. Makes me feel a lot more confident about tackling this job. I'm actually going to attempt installing eurocams from NISMO as well once I get all the parts... hoping next week.

One last question. I ordered lower radiator hose. That wouldn't be the coolant bypass hose that was mentioned would it? Anyone know the part number to this? I'm trying to find it online with no luck.

Thanks again.

Edited by robbie

Guest SuperSon

no thats a different hose. Im going to take mine at the parts store and im sure they can match one.

Edited by SuperSon

Yeah that 3" hose thing sucks. I had to do it because it was leaking badly. The job sucks. But I got it done. If your there, do it because it would really stink if you had to take it all back apart to fix it later on.

if oyu go to a regular parts store it is a basic hose, usually a goodyear or similar. it is not an exact fit, but you can just trim off to match it to your stock hose. i paid $6 for mine at kragens. i suggest hose clamps in place of the factory clamps while yer in there.... them factory clamps are a PITA to get iff while everything is on.... i should know :angry:

I bought all my parts online from courtesy nissan inc. They are awesome people. I talked one on one with a guy and went over everything I needed and he told me some more helpful tips too. There number is 1-800-527-1909. or 1-972-644-3942.

The part number might be different as your doing this job ona 95 correct? I would not see why it would be a different hose but I am not taking any chances. Good luck.