pictures of my R50's mangled suspension

FUELER

Upon a sober re-evaluation of the suspension, it turns out the strut top nut DIDN'T back itself out. It is, in fact, stripped!! The stupid nut is closed-ended, the maximum amount of threads possible to hold on to is 4!!! Such a BS nut. I am furious.

My Polish mechanic/family friend bought 2 new front struts, and somehow the tops of them are different than the struts I bought 6 months ago. (both KYB). The old struts were perfect for the closed ended nut, the threaded portion is about an inch and a half long, which ended up working since all I could get on was about 4 threads and it was tight. The new struts have a longer threaded portion, about 2", my mechanic used TWO big ass open ended nuts, tightened like a mofo, on each strut to really make sure this doesn't happen again. I'll post some pics, looks really good.

I don't know how the two KYB struts can be any different. The body and everything is the same, only difference was the threads at the top. I can't believe somebody expected 4 threads to hold on to that thing.

I think that Vengeful had the same thing happen to his Pathy!

Not quite....

I was forced into a 3-4' deep sink-hole on the beach by a jerkwad in a Heep, which launched the front end of my truck like 6-8 feet into the air. The back wheels then hit the trailing edge of the sink-hole which snapped the front end of my truck back down to the ground.

This motion broke off the entire strut mounting tower arch hump dealy from the inner fender liner. Alignment was fine and the strut and coil stayed intact. I was able to hold it together with a ratchet strap to drive it home. A similar thing happened to....um.....I think it was Herm?? In any event, his was fixed by welding strips of steel to reattach the broken mount. I had the entire inner fender portion replaced from the firewall forward.