Bushings would not fit

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Tried to put my UCAs together this afternoon and found out that the darn bushing that came with the kit wouldnt slide in the control arm spindle so I ended grinding off some of the metal (rust too) .I know another member had this problem also.

This UCA's are beefy and welds seems to be solid. I have not tried this yet but just from the looks of it I see the reason why a lot prefers this brand. You can see how thick the plate is and the tubing that was used.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

i didnt have to take off much, but i did have to clean them up because once i got the bushings burnt off the sleeve was rusted solid....well worth the work, i love the suspension lift :)

K, I'll be the one to ask the stupid question..

In the pic of the UCA's, are they laying right side up? I glanced at my stock UCA's and looked at the Rough Country ones, and couldn't decide which way was up.

Do the zerks go on top or on the bottom?

:hide:

The only stupid question is the one not asked... well, most of the time. :lol: That pic is right side up, as they'd sit on the truck. The way they sit, you can reach into the fender well over the top of your front tires in order to grease the bushings with those zerks. And yes, I have them on my truck, for about 1 1/2 years now with lots of abuse. They're GREAT.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Guest SuperSon

Like what mr.p said bart :D Cant remember how the spindles should be facing tho, The C3Z stamp on the spindle should be facing towards the tires right?

Like what mr.p said bart :D Cant remember how the spindles should be facing tho, The C3Z stamp on the spindle should be facing towards the tires right?

That, I don't recall. I did mine 1 side at a time, and I don't care to go out in the rain to check. ;)

Guest SuperSon
since we're talking bushings here, are the aftermarket UCA's usually the same size bushings as the stock ones? cuz I need new ones, just not sure if they are stock replacement. Havent really had a chance to pull them and compare.

from measuring the factory hole on the uca and the rc ,the factory is 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and the rc is 1 1/2 X 1 7/16

Guest SuperSon
Bye the way, did you go ahead and replace the ball joints while you were in there?

I havent installed the uca's yet. It might be a good idea to replace it while i have them torn apart

from measuring the factory hole on the uca and the rc ,the factory is 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and the rc is 1 1/2 X 1 7/16

Huh, seems close enough with rubbery parts. That or maybe you could look at Energy Suspension bushings if that's all you've gotta replace (not sure of their size though, that's one of the front ones I haven't replaced with them).

Guest SuperSon
Huh, seems close enough with rubbery parts.  That or maybe you could look at Energy Suspension bushings if that's all you've gotta replace (not sure of their size though, that's one of the front ones I haven't replaced with them).

Dont forget the metal sleeve that sits inside tho.You cant compress that.

Edited by SuperSon

I had to do the same thing, and I bought new spindles with mine. SkinnyPedal had to do the same as well. I basically just took the black finish off the spindles when I did it, and the bushings went on nice and tight. Could have probably pounded them on as they were, but figured I'd make my life a little easier.

Guest SuperSon

Is there a torque spec on the spindle nut ,spindle bolt and ball joint bolts?

Im thinking that I need to bolt the spindle/uca to the frame and torque it to specs if need to then tighten the spindle nuts and torque that too

Okay...

Spindle nut 52-76

Spindle to frame bolts 80-108

ball joint bolts (the 4 little guys at the top) 12-17

Ball joint crown nut 58-108

Those measurements all in ft-lbs

Edited by Simon

Another person who wants to do it right, avoid disasters, and cares enough to tighten to proper torque figures.

The engineer sheds yet another tear of happiness...

Guest SuperSon
Okay...

Spindle nut 52-76

Spindle to frame bolts 80-108

ball joint bolts (the 4 little guys at the top) 12-17

Ball joint crown nut 58-108

Those measurements all in ft-lbs

Thanks Simon :cool2:

Guest SuperSon
Another person who wants to do it right, avoid disasters, and cares enough to tighten to proper torque figures.

The engineer sheds yet another tear of happiness...

hahaha..I gotta get my moneys worth on this torque wrench I bought. :D Only problem is it only goes down to 20ft.lb .Gotta get a small one