Sway Bar Link Repair

Zilverado

For starters, I am assuming that the front "sway bar" is the same thing as the "stabilizer bar" as my manual calls it? The bar with links on either end attached to the lower control arms?

My driver's side link is completely sheared off, and I'm getting a nasty "clunk" when I turn right. I plan to remove the link entirely to see if the "clunk" goes away. The rubber bushings are in pretty rough shape as well.

As far as replacing the links and bushings goes, I did a search for this on the forum and found that alot of you have removed your sway bar all together, I assume to add suspension travel for off-roading and rock crawling.

So, does this mean I could leave mine the way it is - - broken? Or remove it all together? We do mostly street/highway driving and I would like the vehicle to be as stable as possible and minimize tire wear. I can replace both links and bushings for under $100, so I'm thinking I'll do it, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

We do mostly street/highway driving and I would like the vehicle to be as stable as possible

Based on these words, you absolutely want to repair this. With a little effort, you can do it for a whole lot less than $100. Get a replacement link from junkyard (or from an NPORA member!) and order replacement rubbers from dealer. Should be under $30.

And as others will be quick to point out, you would be fine without it 99.99%+ of the time. The only time you "really" need a sway bar is during quick direction changes. Like when making rapid evasive manuevers to avoid an accident. If you rarely drive on-road or are somehow magical and able to avoid the need to evade bad drivers, then you don't need them.

Thanks for the quick replies - I appreciate it.

I actually just removed the broken end link - a little grinder and air chisel and off it came. Took 'er for a drive and WHALA!, the front end "clunk" was gone. It was definitley the sheared link binding on the control arm when the suspension was flexing.

All things considered, I definitely will be repairing it. Although I don't know if the sway bar itself needs to be replaced - it seems fine. I was thinking of only replacing the end links and the rubber bushings. The cost of the parts is about...

Bushings - $30 / set

Links - $22.50 ea. x 2 = $45 / pair

Keep in mind these are Canadian prices, so about 15% to 20% higher than all my American friends.

So, it's off to the parts store I go... I just wish all my repairs were this easy.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick replies - I appreciate it.

I actually just removed the broken end link - a little grinder and air chisel and off it came. Took 'er for a drive and WHALA!, the front end "clunk" was gone. It was definitley the sheared link binding on the control arm when the suspension was flexing.

All things considered, I definitely will be repairing it. Although I don't know if the sway bar itself needs to be replaced - it seems fine. I was thinking of only replacing the end links and the rubber bushings. The cost of the parts is about...

Bushings - $30 / set

Links - $22.50 ea. x 2 = $45 / pair

Keep in mind these are Canadian prices, so about 15% to 20% higher than all my American friends.

So, it's off to the parts store I go... I just wish all my repairs were this easy.

Thanks again.

That still seems really high. I paid something like $25-30 US for an Energy Suspension link kit with links AND bushings, and another $20-ish US for the middle bar-to-frame bushings. That's about $45 US for brand new parts(no shipping, picked up from a local 4wd shop). I also went with their strut rod kit for another $25 or so cause they were worn. And I'd agree with MWS, if you don't go off road much, and highway is your priority, definately go WITH the sway bar. Sure you can make it without it, but you'll corner better with it and should be able to better swerve make emergency moves.

Well, the parts are in the garage ready when I am. Total bill was actually less than originally expected. Seems the parts person I spoke to over the phone must have been looking at the wrong bushing set. So...

Links (incl. bushings) 22.55 x 2 = $45.10

Rod to frame bushings = $12.50

Total (taxes in) = $65.09 (CDN)

At todays exchange rate that would be around $55.34 (USD). If only all my repairs were this affordable. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help.

I have the whole setup, needs bushings, but it's yours if you want it.

Oh, BTW - thanks for the offer, but since I can get the parts fairly cheaply locally, I'll pass - avoid the shipping costs to Canada.

Thanks anyway. :clap: