My valve cover screws keep coming loose

BLouisGod

The screws on my valve covers keep coming loose and leak oil all over the place. About every 3 or 4 days I have to tighten them all to stop the oil leaking. If I change the gaskets, will that hold the screws down, or should I use some locktite? Any ideas?

If the oil leak is only attributed to the screw coming loose and retightening it solves the leak then I would clean the screw and hole well and blue Locktite it. You might consider a split or lock washer in addition to the Locktite.

Are they the original gaskets? If so, replacing may help. But most important of all, torque to proper values!

A little bolt tutorial:

The helical turns in the threads will result in a natural tendency for them to want to loosen.

To prevent this, you can either bond them in place (Loctite type products) or increase the friction forces to hold them in place.

Having the threads dry helps.

And most importantly, having the bolt under longitudinal tension is key. This applies more force to the sides of the threads and more friction. Properly tensioned, the bolt acts like a spring to keep the force constant and adequate to prevent backing off.

How to get the proper tension to stretch the bolt just a litte to apply adequate force? Torque to the values prescribed by the design engineer.

Remove the screws, clean (bolts and hole) with brake or electrical cleaner. Let dry. Re-install and torque to proper value. I'll bet it never happens again!

Are they the original gaskets?  If so, replacing may help.  But most important of all, torque to proper values!

A little bolt tutorial: 

The helical turns in the threads will result in a natural tendency for them to want to loosen.

To prevent this, you can either bond them in place (Loctite type products) or increase the friction forces to hold them in place.

Having the threads dry helps.

And most importantly, having the bolt under longitudinal tension is key.  This applies more force to the sides of the threads and more friction.  Properly tensioned, the bolt acts like a spring to keep the force constant and adequate to prevent backing off.

How to get the proper tension to stretch the bolt just a litte to apply adequate force?  Torque to the values prescribed by the design engineer.

Remove the screws, clean (bolts and hole) with brake or electrical cleaner.  Let dry.  Re-install and torque to proper value.  I'll bet it never happens again!

AKA..... tighten them down with a torque wrench!!!! just make sure you do it to the correct specs and make sure they are dry

That was my '97 Triumph Daytona. I loved her, but finally had to let her go. She was still cosmetically and functionally perfect, but my pace was getting to the point I was starting to push the physical limits rather than my personal limits. On my last track day with her, I had 3 very tense moments when I lost the front end -once in the corner right over my shoulder in this shot.

In realizing that I would feel awful to deface this magnificent machine, I sold it to a guy that absolutetly adored her and promised to keep her pristine and unblemished!

The plan is to get some Japanese cookie cutter sport bike and use it for track days. Dropping and scraping one of those wouldn't bother me. I did keep my '95 Triumph Speed Triple for street riding!