engine swap questions

colt6208

i need to know if i can swap a nissan maxima motor into my 1987 pathy. it looked like the oil pan is in a different spot. will the engine mounts etc be the same. need help fast and lifted suburban with 8 miles to the gallon and gas prices going up, its just running me broke.

Not directly. You can use the shortblock with all your externals, but will need to use your SOHC heads, intake, accessory drives, oilpan, flywheel, etc. Searching will reveal many threads on who has used what.

Currently 3.0 w/ Blown head gasket.

If all that is wrong with the existing engine is the blown head gasket, then why not change it? It would be much easier than an engine swap... change both while your at it.

well i work at oreillys and can get most the stuff for quick rebuild, basically gaskets seals clutch while i got it out etc. maybe rings not for sure yet. money is tight thats for sure. suburban is eating my money at 20 bucks every 2 days. and i think the rear main seal was out because it leaked oil all the time, sitting, driving it did not matter

Edited by colt6208

to answer u're question..you must:

swap oil pan

oil pick up

oil dipstick and relocate to other side of engine

intakes

all mounting brackets for accessories and what not

exhaust manifolds

i could not get the cam gear off so i did not switch the timing belt cover which means you need to run a 2wd hardbody water pump instead of the pathy vg30 pump the maxima 1 will not work the neck is about 3 ins shorter than the HB pump and with this and all of the maxima timing belt cover it'll be sealed up so no H20 and dirt can get in

i would also do valve seals, cam seals, head gaskets, front and rear main, valve cover gasket, and then a bunch of lil bs gaskets that come in the kit, t stat, timing belt and maybe a few other things i forgot...

it cost me about $300 after i got the engine to get all the parts and gasket set which i got everything from napa at about 25% off...

but i will say this...when i busted the t belt in my 87...it cost me about $200 did head gaskets (along with everything else listed for top end above) all new valves, new water pump, timing belt (of course), t stat...took me 3 days total with 1 day waiting on a new valve b/c the wrong valve was in 1 of the boxes and that included the tear down...i would say this is u're best bet b/c u will spend at least 50+ hrs doing a swap...and you can rebuild the top end while the engines still in the truck...

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

ya i ended up pullin it because it leaked oil on passenger side on the back somewhere. thought it had original motor. but appears to be a remanufactured. have no idea how many miles. figured it was rear main. but it was good. i think someone b4 me did not seal oil pan good and it leaked. but its ok i work at oreillys and get up to 50% off on some stuff like head gaskets.(29.99 ur cost 16.00 my cost. talk about sweet. i did the rear main the oil pan. head gaskets, water pump intake, and exhaust. have to replace all vacum hoses because all pieces of @!*%. got new clutch for 130 bucks while i got it out bcause that was pain in a** to get out. but going to put back into truck on friday and saturday. my egr valvelooks like crap. probably gonna do it. and then some heater hoses. left bottom end alone, hoping had good compression but could not check because head gasket was out. if you know of anything else let me know. will post picks when i GIT-R-DUN

well the motor is put back together and carved out all the carbon out of the EGR and what a mess. gonna just hope that it still works because 105 bucks is not gonna happen, just rip all of it off and plug the @!*% up if i have. to. but the problem i am running into now is the vacuum diagrams. my chilton does not have one. its half ass. but brand new. so i need pics if any one has them of close up. tomorrow is friday and would like to put it back to gether but screwed if i cant find a diagram. because hell if i know where they go. half of them were brittle and falling apar. any pics. any thing at all.??????