Gas problem

k9sar

so I go to fill up my tank before the weekend. I've been running on empty and getting annoyed at that little orange "you need gas, you idiot" light on the dash. I pull in, reach down beside the seat and puch the little lever to pop the little door over the gas cap. nothing. go out and bang on the door (it's been frozen closed before). It flexes and moves such that it is obvious that it's the little release mechanism that is not releasing. DAMNIT!

anyone know of a graceful way to open this thing without using a frucking prybar?

oh... and I added a new dent to my fender today as I plowed out the driveway (sans plow) and clipped my garbage can, launching it halfway up into the lawn.

what a day.

Yep...I use my pocket knife to pry open the door when the mechanism has frozen. Just stick the knife in center height at the rearmost portion of the door, and pry slightly outwards...it'll open.

Guest SuperSon

I think you can pull the tension on that cable. Pull that lever on the side of the seat ..Mine was like that before and the first thing I did was push that release pin in and sprayed it with some TB cleaner then squirt some white lightning.

Oh yeah pull the v shaped tension thingy .it gets pressed in after time and just bend it out

gtank.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

so... at 11pm last night, in 12 degree windy weather, I finally have the opportunity to tackle this issue. I tried the lever again, just in case, no dice. So I opened the hatch and popped the access door, removed my 'supplies' (I keep gloves, rags, rope, etc in there) and found the gadget that the cable goes to. There, in front of me is a nice shiney mechanism where the ball of the cable attaches. So, I hook it with my finger and try to pull it, effectively taking the cable out of the equation cause I'm thinking that's where the problem is. ouch. not a good enough grip. So, I loop a cable tie through it and gett a really good grip. Something's moving! It's the metal piece bending out of the mechanism rather than pullign and retracting the catch. Damn! So, I unclip the cable and pull it out. Cable appears to be working fine. Only one solution left. So I go in the garage and get a flat prybar and open the gas door. So I have some reshaping to do, but it's open. I reach in to test the latch and it doesn't budge. I notice some ice behind it and realize that water had run into the gas cap area and frozen. I remove the latch mechanism and take it inside and throw it on the counter, say a few choice words, then force the latch pin into the housing by banging it on the counter. now it won't come back out. sheesh! I grab a Mike's and park on the couch to watch some tv and about 15 minutes later, I hear a 'pop'. I look over and the latch is out. I pick it up and the thing moves freely now. I look down and there is a puddle. I guess water had leaked past the rubber seal and into the spring and frozen. Dare I reinstall it before spring? Still tryign to decide.

Yep...I use my pocket knife to pry open the door when the mechanism has frozen. Just stick the knife in center height at the rearmost portion of the door, and pry slightly outwards...it'll open.

That's the method I use too. Once in the center, it will just pop open with little effort.

I guess water had leaked past the rubber seal and into the spring and frozen. Dare I reinstall it before spring? Still tryign to decide.

Use some silicone lube on it. That should keep it moving.