manual trans longevity

fondo

interesting on the GL-4 and GL-5...I spoke with a dealership and they said they use GL-5 now b/c the 4 is not available b/c i couldnt find any...they said that it superseded the 4 so it was ok just like dot 3 and dot 4 brake fluid, you can go up from 3 to 4 but cannot go back down to 3 after you do that...

They are ignorant or deceiptful.

Huh? Maybe you are running on 4 cylinders only. I find the gas mileage terrible, and I drive slow.

nope shes running just fine on all 6 cylinders. I take into account the weight of the vechicle, age, minor things here and there wrong but can get by on, size of tires...etc...otherwise kept in n good tune and lubes.

On the open highway cruising about 75 mph I can go about 325 to 330 miles on a tank of premium ( my knock sensor is shot so i run premium to prevent knocking for now...)

I have K&N style cone filter, and most everything else is stock.

Thats not too shabby in my opinon for a 4x4 truck thats 17 years old and has 240,000 miles on the original engine and tranny, and fairly aggressive off road tires.....and thats with the AC running in summer time too!

thankfully my ac still works as I live in South Carolina, but this summer I think I finally have to break down and replace some AC parts as its fully charged but has air in the system and not very cool anymore. Crud....but I can live without the AC if I have to, I'd rather keep the engine and tranny maintained! and drive my wifes van when we go out :)

ok well next question...now that both of my pathy's have had gl 4 put in them should i keep running that or switch back...im gonna go P... those guys

I know you meant to say GL5.... and to answer your question, definitely switch back the trans at your soonest convenience..

One thing to keep in mind: To avoid liability risks, the dealer will vehemently deny that what they did was in any way detrimental to your truck and will say that the FSM, factory engineers, and I are all being foolish or in some way know less than they do.

I always recommend that you do your own research and make your own conclusions about who to believe - and keep in mind what the person telling you has to gain or lose by their statements.

The stock Nissan MTF (GL-4) is approximately 12.0cSt at 100 degrees celcius. MT90 is a 75W90 weight at about 14 cSt. Redline MTL has a viscosity of 11.1 cSt. These fuids are fully synthetic and have worked fine in both of my Pathfinders. The MT-90 will be toughter to shift in cold temps, so the best thing to do is mix it with some MTL to bring the viscosity down closer to 12.0cSt. They are completely compatible.