swapping an auto out for a manual...Worth it?

Jmax5000

Hey all... been a while. i was wondering, how much work would it be to swap a manual tranny into my auto 91' xe? My trans wont shift into second or OD anymore, and i got a line on a donor truck... only prob is it's 5 speed. Anyone tried this?? If so, any major problems??? Hopefully this can work... cuz i luv my pathy...... :unsure:

Possible but not all that easy. Tranny, clutch and pressure plate, crankshaft pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder, clutch line, cut new hole in the floor, console and shifter, ECU, wiring, etc...

That's why I didn't swap mine. Too many damn parts to change.

wait WHAT? 88 i think you may be mistaken here....

Possible but not all that easy. Tranny, clutch and pressure plate, crankshaft pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder, clutch line, cut new hole in the floor, console and shifter, ECU, wiring, etc...

There are no holes to cut....

You get rid of any console that held the auto shifter....

Same ECU is used, so you dont have to swap them...

Wireing is easy, its pretty much plug and play, the only wireing involved is for reverse lights....

otherwise if you have ever dropped a tranny you can do this job. source a junked 5 speed, either get the manual from the JY but otherwise just get all the lines, master and then pedals from it. all accessories that i needed for my swap came from the JY and all that (including the shifters) cost me about 120 (a little high, but i understand them not wanting to part with the shifters when i didnt buy the whole tranny). the pedals to me were the hardest part of the install....which i did those in one night themselves (about 4 hours) its just a really tight fit, and you have to really twist it around to get it in there.

but otherwise you just drop the tranny pull off converters and whatnot (all the auto tragic crap) and then either get a JY flywheel or go buy one new and then start assembling the clutch and all that stuff....then mate up tranny....its really not hard to do at all, and i was suprised that you still stuck with an auto even after yours died...

so since i have recently done this swap in my driveway, if you have any questions feel free to ask me, but overall the 5 speed is a much better decision than just replacing the auto...

and if anyone wants an auto, i have one, its perfectly fine nothing wrong with it( i just couldnt deal with driving the auto anymore).....

wait WHAT? 88 i think you may be mistaken here....

There are no holes to cut....

You get rid of any console that held the auto shifter....

Same ECU is used, so you dont have to swap them...

Wireing is easy, its pretty much plug and play, the only wireing involved is for reverse lights....

otherwise if you have ever dropped a tranny you can do this job. source a junked 5 speed, either get the manual from the JY but otherwise just get all the lines, master and then pedals from it. all accessories that i needed for my swap came from the JY and all that (including the shifters) cost me about 120 (a little high, but i understand them not wanting to part with the shifters when i didnt buy the whole tranny). the pedals to me were the hardest part of the install....which i did those in one night themselves (about 4 hours) its just a really tight fit, and you have to really twist it around to get it in there.

but otherwise you just drop the tranny pull off converters and whatnot (all the auto tragic crap) and then either get a JY flywheel or go buy one new and then start assembling the clutch and all that stuff....then mate up tranny....its really not hard to do at all, and i was suprised that you still stuck with an auto even after yours died...

so since i have recently done this swap in my driveway, if you have any questions feel free to ask me, but overall the 5 speed is a much better decision than just replacing the auto...

and if anyone wants an auto, i have one, its perfectly fine nothing wrong with it( i just couldnt deal with driving the auto anymore).....

My bad about the ECU, I forgot you can just run the AT one. Cool. *goes and looks at the 89* Oops, there's a cover plate on the floor. No hole to cut! Sorry.

It's still a LOT of parts to swap. *shrug*

you will also need to create a jumper on the transmission lockout that goes to the auto shifter (so the truck will start) and i believe you will need to pull the lockout switch out of the steering column (or change the IGN)

check how the transmissions send their speedo controls (electric or mechanical) that might be the biggest hang up

actually the lockout, what i did was find the electronic selector on the actual tranny, and find the wires the tripped the switch (heaviest guage wire) sodered them together, and it starts just like normal, although it will start in gear, so thats not a bad thing. and nothing has to be changed in the actual ignition. both are the same!! (i think :))

and the electroninc or gear driven speedos can be a problem, but just know that (im not sure the years maybe someone can help me out) if you have the electronic ones than you shouldnt have a problem because the VSS is thru the tcase.

again, if anyone has any questions about this swap, it is relatively easy, but feel free to ask!!

actually the lockout, what i did was find the electronic selector on the actual tranny, and find the wires the tripped the switch (heaviest guage wire) sodered them together, and it starts just like normal, although it will start in gear, so thats not a bad thing. and nothing has to be changed in the actual ignition. both are the same!! (i think smile.gif)

you just gave the definition of a jumper ;) and i wasnt sure about the lockout in the ign...i kept my manual steering column and ign so i still have the push button release

well... i still have to make sure that the tranny that i got a line on isn't burned..... (guy kinda likes to bag on his vehicles), and I have to figure whether or not it will be worth all the effort. Haven't got a lot of free time these days. I appreciate the feedback though, nice to know that it is possible.......

Just curious sammyb... what do want for your auto???? let me know

im asking 400 plus shipping or delivery (depending on where you are)

but we can talk about prices if you want. and like i have said before, i have had zero problems with my auto, just hated driving it and not being able to select my gear. so i decided that since i had access to a cheap 5 speed, i would do the swap, see how it went, and knowing that i could always go back to the auto if i messed up royaly :)

so just let me know....

hah....well. im in virginia :(

but i think max might be making a trip up there. so ill have to ask him, when and where....

so i mean the price might have to reflect a little more because of travel costs and then time and whatnot. ill talk to him see if he is willing to lug around another auto for me :)