Time for the Terrano/Pathfinder to go.

Fantasy

Time for the Terrano/Pathfinder to go.

Well after jacking the old girl up 2” putting 31” mud’s on and replacing just about every thing in the suspension. Plus a new turbo and manifold, I took a couple of friends over to Fraser Island and camped for a few days. I put the Terrano to the test on many different tracks but the only time she was really any good was on the hard sand on the beach. She is still under powered and does not have enough suspension travel. I’m not here to debate with people that are happy with there Pathfinder/Terrano that it can be a good 4wd. For me it has got to the point where it feels like I’m flogging a dead horse. The only way I believe the Terrano is ever going to have enough power and stay diesel is to do a complete engine conversion to a ZD out of a Patrol. I am not prepared to do that. By the time I get the engine, box and ecu in and working I could sold the 1994 Terrano and bought a 2000 model Patrol for the same money. Witch is most likely what I am going to do. I am tossing up between 2000 model Patrol with the ZD 4cyl 3L turbo diesel, 2000 model Patrol with the TD 6cyl 4.2L turbo diesel and a 2000 model Toyota Landcruiser with the 1HD 4.2L turbo diesel.

The Toyota Landcruiser is a bit more expensive than the others but is it that much of a better truck? And witch one of the Patrol's is better and why?

Cheers,

Fantasy.

Mmmm.....patrol, man I wish we had those in the states. The terrano/pathfinder has been quite capable for me. I guess it depends on what you do with it and how it works for your needs. I have made jaws drop offroad because they cant believe a Nissan could do that!

go the 4.2 troll

land cuirsers are for 'soccer mums' & shopping centre car parks.

yes 4.2's are more expensensive but by time youve paid extra for the 4.2 the 3L would of taken a crap on you and then your up for a BIG repair bill.

4.2's are KING :D:beer::beer:

Edited by sw

That’s weird hey because out of all the Patrol’s I have been looking at the TD42 models have been cheaper.

What goes wrong with the ZD’s??? My grand parents have a ZD Patrol and they have driven around Australia 3 times now and the only thing that has crapped it self is the auto box. What ever car I get I will be looking for a manual.

The TD42 model has 114kw and the ZD30 model has 116kw. But the big thing is torque and I do not have any torque fingers.

The Big 1HD Landcruiser has electronic direct injection and 151kw.

The other problem I have chousing a new truck is I want to put some decent sized rubber underneath it. I already have a set of 38.5” tall x 16” wide MT baja claws.

As you can probably tell I am still very much undersided.

Cheers,

Fantasy.

i dont know much bout the yota mota but i do know two things 1. timing belt...... need i say any more. 2. clearly stated on the motors ive seen every 150 k km's you need to replace fuel rail and injectors....... come on give me a break, replace the fuel rail........ you will need to be made of money for that one

:oops:

TD42's dont have timing belts they have timing gears. you will never have a problem with them.

td's cheaper than zd's wow..... we are talking the same year vehicle arnt we?

what happens to the zd's.... well up to 2002 this is very common after 2002 less common. basically poor oil circulation coupled with some of the engine sensors getting dirty, engine then over fuels & over boosts then piston 3 & 4 melt........... go to www.patrol4x4.com.au if you wanna read up about it, heaps of info on it.

as for the land barge having more power...... well they gotta have something to pull round that fat, ugly, useless, eat'n toooo many meat pies, piece of junk.

other problems with the 100 series land barge is i.f.s. been reports of lower arms collapsing, small front diff, offset pinion in said front diff.

GO the troll - tough, strong, reliable, basic, capable

2003 GU 4.2L :aok::aok::aok:

:beer:

Edited by sw

alright ive put my high horse back in the stable now... :D

im finally back in the office & eat'n lunch after spending all morning out on site :rolleyes:

i would like to add that although the TD & the ZD have the same hp & similar torque figures on paper, the real world paints a different picture. basically the td produces power everywhere in the rev range. however the zd has not much under 2000 rpm. basically it needs the turbo to give it power. have even heard of a few zd owners of fairly modified rigs changing transfer case ratios to improve this.

you've mentioned you've got 38" tyres..... :blink: wow

you will be wanting alot of power and alot of power over the whole rev range. therefore a td42 is the go, then some modifications to power up.

another thing to add is that with 38's you are going to break stuff, on any car 38's is gonna be askn for trouble. the amount of stress those massive tyres will put on drive line and steering is massive and stock stuff is just not designed for that

hmmm as for the land barge motor, well yes it has more power, i cant deny that, but i would like to see one outlast a TD. the other thing is if your planning on doing touring/serious 4wding the land barge motor is all electronicly controled so there is potential there for electronics to fail out in the bush, leaving you stranded.

now i will finish with saying that the land barge is finished much nicer - im refering to the interior & the interior only :D . however if you want a tough truck that is not full of electrics but at the same time extreamley capable a patrol is the way to go.

:beer:

Edited by sw

Hey SW,

Well I have been talking to a few mechanic friends and out of every one I have spoken to it has been an unanimous verdict for the TD42 GU Patrol. One of them is even the head mechanic at our local Toyota dealership. He didn’t have much to say about the 100 series Landcruiser other than they are expensive to maintain and are not that reliable.

Cheers,

Fantasy.

Ps: According to everyone the 2003 GU is the one to get. Why???

2003 & onwards i believe nissan got more 'go' out of the motor

other than that, im not really to sure. when i was looking for a troll i was actually aiming for around 2000 ish due to $$$$. however by luck a good friend saw this one at a real good price. i talked the yard down as much as i could and bingo :D

ooooh by the way. congratulations on your decision, time to go look for a good one :beer::beer::beer:

Edited by sw

had another thought....

the 2003 thing maybe due to the zd30 engine. apparently the likely hood of a zd30 blowing up drops after 2002. i.e 2003 onwards.

however this doenst apply to TD42's..... they dont blow up ;)

one piece of advice is 99 & 2000 TD42's some had 5th gear troubles when used for towing big loads, just some thing to be weary of. :beer:

Edited by sw