no speedo, no odo

94extreme

:help:

the coldest temps have hit us and it never fails, gonna have to work on the truck. went on a camping trip and on the way there, when i backed up at one spot, the speedo and odo went dead. i also have a CES light that came on shortly after.. have not retrieved the codes as i just got home. pretty sure it's unrelated but i'll update soon enough. hopefully nothing major as the truck seemed to run just fine.

ok, if any of you have any ideas or suggestions i'd greatly appreciated. i know this has come up more then once but i am on dial-up right this moment, and probably will be that way for a little while longer, so i wasn't really able to search the forums as i really need a shower, unload and then retrieve the code(s.)

thanks guys and gals.

Perhaps some of this may help MZ (from the 1994/5 Manual)

vss001yv7.th.jpg

vss002rj8.th.jpg

vss003mj5.th.jpg

EDIT: Changed the first two pics to thumbnails after I nboticed that you said dial up :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

what pages are these on?

thanks.

crap, the manual is not on my hd but i do have it somewhere. i think i am going to check behind the gages first as there is something making a noise there and i am wondering if it isn't a ground or something that came loose. that noise showed up semi shortly before everything went kaputt.

what pages are these on?

thanks.

crap, the manual is not on my hd but i do have it somewhere. i think i am going to check behind the gages first as there is something making a noise there and i am wondering if it isn't a ground or something that came loose. that noise showed up semi shortly before everything went kaputt.

Pic 1: EF & EC 155

Pic2: EL-41

Pic3: EL-86

And this pic is on: EF & EC 15

vss004qb0.th.jpg

pic3, is 8e next to 2e? hard to read from the diagram. ok, i got it and that's the position. had to DL the pic itself to be able to see it clearly. thanks

glad to know about the reed switch.

thanks

Edited by mzxtreme

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get your speedo going? I had the same prob. if its like mine the sensor is located on the right side of the transfer case held in with one bolt. It is an electrical and not a mechanical speedo. On mine the sensor locked up and stripped the gear on the sensor. I replaced both the sensor and the gear. Be careful there are different gear sizes and tooth counts make sure you get the right one. Hope this helps.

I would think that a Speedo... meter (just sounds wrong without the last part) shops should be able to get those parts, if not the dealer/parts stores.

I don't know of to many of them, but there is one in this area (Tacoma Speedometer)

I bought my gears at the nissan dealership and the sensor from a local parts store. With the vin number the dealer should be able to get you both parts but the sensor is cheaper aftermarket. The gear is only available through nissan. There are lots of different possibilities for the sensor. (length of the shaft mostly) And different tooth counts for the gear. My possibilities for the gear was 17 or 19 I believe. I lost the gear when ordering parts and installed the wrong one first. The gear is held on the sensor by a little snap ring. A good way to make sure the gears mesh is by using some dark grease like red chassis greas smearing it all the way around the new gear (already mounted to the new sensor) install it and spin the output shaft. Re-pull the gear/sensor and see if the drive gear contacted it all the way around.

cool, thanks meangreen. that's actually good news as i can maybe get the gear for 31s and have the actual speed and distance. thanks for the grease hint. definitely a good idea.

it's 6F right now so i am not touching anything but stuff is piling up (now the air control illumination went dead) so hopefuly soon the cold grip eases. just some double didgits would help.

• 5 months later...

lol.. it's freaking hot and i am finally dealing with this one.. the part for 4x4 MT 31" tires is 25010-74P-01 (-00 for the smaller stock ones) and $162 at the dealer. autozone has a replacement ones for $64.

the sensor itself doesn't want to budge as of yet. i'm soaking it and will deal with tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if any one had a wiring diagram that included the speed sensor for my '95 Pathy... Or could tell me which wires to shoot... Mt speedometer went out and no more cruise control so im assuming some where between computer and speed controller... Any help would be thanks!!!! Oh and i already changed the speed controller...

thanks for movin me in the right spot, but i assumed it was a basic motor inside, but what i need it the diagram for where it goes after there... i wana say i have a broken wire some where or a lose connection cause one and a while it will jump and follow my speed...

ok i think i found my problem when i giggled the connectors on the back of the speedo, it worked for a lil bit, but it only workes untill i get to 30mph +/- 5mph. does any one know how the speedo works? and does any one know which pins and connector to look at or replace on the back of the speedo?