How did you start offroading?

deej

"Lowers Head In Shame"...Started wheeling with a 88 Cherokee Limited with street tires at Corral Canyon in San Diego. Scared the crap out of me...i was too scared to put it in 4WD...thought i'd break something....I've owned three Pathy's since and i love them....my latest 97 R50 has been off road the most and is now my dedicated off road/Home Depot truck....the mods are adding up quickly. I think i'm addicted more to the modding than i am the actually off roading! :crossedwires:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it all started with a turbo diesel nissan patrol in the forests of Poland. My uncles rig. 33" BFG AT's and a freshly upgraded turbo, very strong. Too much fun. Flying through the forests or girls staring at it in town, (not too many guys with modded patrols and holland license plates - a relatively nice truck in a poor country) either way is fun. After a few summers of doing that, I knew I was hooked.

I have a Nissan now, if only I had a turbo diesel that spit out black smoke at full throttle, and hauled ass, i'd be VERY happy!

"Lowers Head In Shame"...Started wheeling with a 88 Cherokee Limited with street tires at Corral Canyon in San Diego.

Hey I like corral canyon! Only an hour away from me. I would LOVE it if it were 100% open so I could do the round trip loop. RIght now its closed halfway in so you end up turning around and doing the same trail twice. Nice and hot out there.

Know of any other offroad spots in SD?

My first experience off road...about 8 years old in a 1976 Mercury Comet (Ford Maverick) through a farm field about 2 miles to go hunting---for groundhog! My dad had a blast shotting them and the farmer used to give my dad $$ or produce "n stuff in payment for ridding him the pests!! His cattle would fall into their holes and break legs--this is no good for any farmer with cows...especially dairy cows!! I loved how the car would tackle stuff and beat us around the interior--I couldn't help but laugh the whole ride!

Hey I like corral canyon! Only an hour away from me. I would LOVE it if it were 100% open so I could do the round trip loop. RIght now its closed halfway in so you end up turning around and doing the same trail twice. Nice and hot out there.

Know of any other offroad spots in SD?

I used to live in Vista but now i'm up in Murrieta....The only places i know in SD are the area down by the border and Corral Canyon....Now i go out to a small area in Vista, Ocotillo, De Luz/Fallbrook, Santiago Peak (Lake Elsinore, off the 74 North Side) and a small area in Wildomar (Off the 74 South Side).

My 1st Serious off road vehicle was a FJ40 toyota landcruiser with the straight 6 and 33" super diggers. I went freaking EVERYWHERE and anywhere with it. It was an amazing vehicle.

I've had bronco's blazers, numerous jeeps but nothing can touch my 68 Kaiser Jeep ambulance. It has a Chevy 350 conversion with 46" non directional military tires. I converted it into a camper.

It is just Awesome.

My pathy is the go-go car and when things get BAD out on my ranch in Quinlan Tx. I pull out the Kaiser.

The Pathy is nothing to sneeze at in the mud tho. Impressive with the posi in the rear...

RJ

I loved driving my cars through the snow but my lil cars didnt do so well. my first car a 90 mazda 626 was amazing but short lived when totaled by a huge ram pick up. after about three cars and a year later I met this new kid with an 86 suburban 5.6 liter diesal. thing was a beast. and we pushed it to the limits all over. So i went on my search for a truck. Got a lil 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive ranger with crappy tiny lil wheels that i took anywhere that it would allow and many places it didnt then sold it to my dad which he traded for a 99 dodge dokota 4x4 which i consistanly borrowed from him and everytime i brought it home (a lil more muddy than before showed up well on its white paint) he also checked it out sure that i broke something. but i got him starting to want to go 4xing. i soon got my first pathy an 89 with 31" tires and lsd that would go anywhere and looked crappy enough that i didnt care what would happen to it. now that my friend has taken that back im on a search to find another one!!! im so hooked.

• 2 weeks later...

It all started when I was about 5 or 6. My dad would take me wheeling in his old yellow Ford. We even had one of the first CD players ever installed in it! Anyway, we'd go up in the snow in the Columbia Gorge every winter to find the "perfect Christmas tree." Packing my mom and sister with us in the bench seat. Anyway, fast forward to my 16th birthday. I took the family Grand Cherokee up into the hills regularly without parental permission. My dad found tons of mud caked to the skid plates once when he was changing the oil. Thus banning me from the Jeep. That didn't stop me! I was then stuck with the Honda Accord. I took that through places I shouldn't and got into some sticky situations. Eventually, that ended with a dented oil pan. I then saved up enough money from making pizzas to afford my first car. Looking all around I originally wanted a 4runner but those turned out to be far too expensive. Then I found it. Black '87 Pathfinder for $1000. I was in love. She still serves me to this day with as much vigor as ever even with 225,000 miles!

• 6 months later...

Restarting a oldie.Wheel I used to ride Four wheelers alot when I was a kid and then got my dads 89 150.Blown head gaskets and the trucks going no ware so we moved and got a 86 B2 but it had not clutch and all I ever did with it was fly around the feild we have.A 35 mpg donut and the truck wanst that good.flipped her back up on the tires before my dad got home(scrary stuff in a truck that driveer side door is held shut with a bungee cord and no seat belt since the rocker panel broke off) plus there was 2 pther people in it one on passger side and one on the little seat in the back.Got the 95 pathy in jan of 08 for a late x-mas present.Didnt off road her till the summer and then it was on a trail where the year before I was in a 94 S-10 jimmy that we bent the frame on climbing a fallen tree.The thing did great and it was in 2 wheel drive(no tree this time) so its been like that.Wheeled the same spot in winter and was pushing snow with my front bumper but didnt get stuck.Its pathys only(well maybe a hard bodie) from here on out other then my 89 150 which is getting fixed as a work truck...sometime.

I got started in wheeling a couple of years back with my 96 dodge 2500, had it lifted on 35’s. Thing was a beast. Got rid of that last year and got a 2000 expo not really good for wheeling. Got tired of that and I now have my 92 pathy, things a lil mountain goat in 4lo gottta love it. Plus it’s small and I can fit thru the tighter trails up in the mountains that I would have to turn back in my dodge. I think from now on I’ll stick with the Nissans :D

I haven´t started yet

But I believe as soon as I get some near friends I will star here in the Baja California there are a lots of great places to camping and off-road