New Can Carrier

patzx300

Not sure how many of you have heard of Adventure Trailers, but they are going to be releasing a can carrier very soon. I have gotten ahold of one to review it for Nissan Sport Magazine. This thing is way better than the crappy can holder AC sells. It is 1/8" steel bent to conform to a standard 5 gal jerry can. The strap that hooks on the bottom comes over the can and locks. It has multiple mounting holes so you can put 2 side by side if you want. My spare is a 31 so you have a reference for how big it is. I will possibly shift my spare to the left as 2 carriers would partially block the right tail light assembly. Yes that is real Terrano badging. UPDATE!!! The carriers are going for $69.95 US plus S&H. The gas and diesel cans are $49.95 US and the water can is $24.95. They also sell spouts made for the cans and the water cans are lined so they meet food grade standards.

Carrier1.JPG

Carrier2.JPG

I took the added safety measure of drilling the bolt to accept a cotter key in the highly unlikely event the carrier would come loose while having the thing full of gas. It is attached to the rear tire carrier with 2 8mmx1.25x45mm bolts. I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the carrier to match up to the tire carrier and drill holes in the carrier but it is a relatively straight forward install.

Carrier6.JPG

Carrier7.JPG

Carrier9.JPG

Carrier10.JPG

Edited by patzx300

Very nice piece, and a fair price for a quality product.

The gas can looks like a NATO style can with some kind of screw on cap...

Can you confirm the carrier is compatible with true NATO cans and/or the old US jerry cans? Looks like they would be.

In California, I can not legally purchase or use a new can that didn't have f-ed up lid, but I can continue to use my vintage NATO cans!

Not sure how many of you have heard of Adventure Trailers, but they are going to be releasing a can carrier very soon. I have gotten ahold of one to review it for Nissan Sport Magazine. This thing is way better than the crappy can holder AC sells. It is 1/8" steel bent to conform to a standard 5 gal jerry can. The strap that hooks on the bottom comes over the can and locks. It has multiple mounting holes so you can put 2 side by side if you want. My spare is a 31 so you have a reference for how big it is. I will possibly shift my spare to the left as 2 carriers would partially block the right tail light assembly.

How about mounting the second can to the left of the tire?

Might have to space it out or modify the rack release mechanism, but should be easier than moving the spare mount.

And I am impressed with the cotter key safety catch! I use lots of safety wire for the same reasons....

I thought about re-engineering the release on the carrier but I think it would be best to leave it alone and shift the spare left. The tire will still allow access to the release handle but you can put 2 can carriers side by side on the right.