Thorley Header Install Issue -- Help!

robbie

My 94 pathy (auto) is at a shop for the 2nd day and they tell me that the Thorley's they're trying to install doesn't fit. I told them about the Y-pipe fabrication and they tell me that they have to unscrew one side of the header and bend it a few feet because the end of the header is touching the torsion bar when tightened. (I don't know if his English is bad but a few feet?) They already sawed off the part where the O2 sensor is connected to the CAT. They also said that they have to reangle the CAT and I've not read any pathy owners saying this.

I don't understand what the problem is when I've read so many posts of the Thorley's fitting fine with a simple Y-pipe fabrication. Initial cost promised was $350... yesterday it went up to $500 ... today I don't know how much they want to increase the charge for this. I went to the shop one of the pathy owners suggested from this forum. Man I just have the worst luck picking the worst shops to go to every freaking time.

I hope someone can help me with this by shedding light on this installation. I don't want them to ruin the headers I paid good money for and charge me for it.

Help would be appreciated.

A few feet?!?!? Sounds impossible. I wonder if maybe those headers are not the right ones for your truck.......Possibly for a Maxima?

No... it has the right part number stamped on it. I have even visually compared them before to the pictures posted on this forum.

I got them from 4x4parts.com and I'm sure I got the right ones. I'm just really sketched about the shop now.

They didn't cut the header, but they cut the part already on the truck where the O2 sensor goes into. I don't know if that was necessary. One question, Y-pipe fab means fabricating a custom Y-pipe instead of using the Y-pipe that comes with the headers right? Just want to make sure.

Mine bolted right on. Do you have an auto tranny? I think I remember something about how they wouldn't work with the auto.

I think I remember the directions saying (in English) to assemble the headers/crossover before any bolts get tightened.

Edited by AK9849cy

When I installed mine, I didn't have to cut anything. It is recommended to attach the header loose on the drivers side so that you can get the proper alignment of the EGR tube (which is assumed you loosen that a bit) to the header and basically work it from that point. Attached the other header, both y-pipes, aligned and positioned everything, tacked the y-pipe, pulled it back out to completely weld, re-installed, tighten everything up and it was done, no problema! Didn't have to mess around with the cat or anything else, didn't have to bend anything either.

the driver side header *edited due to retardation and brain fart* takes the EGR valve, but NOT the o2 sensor. so WTF are they DOOOOOING down there? a few FEET? i would be aiming for kneecaps about now, and i would also be refusing to pay and tow my truck to another shop before they completely fubar your entire exhaust system. it is a straightforward install, even on an auto there is little to no issue...... so these guys are CLUELESS.

Edited by Slick

No... it has the right part number stamped on it. I have even visually compared them before to the pictures posted on this forum.

I got them from 4x4parts.com and I'm sure I got the right ones. I'm just really sketched about the shop now.

4x4parts.com? Well thar's yer prollem right thar!

When I ordered my Thorleys, AC was the only place ANYWHERE that had a set so I was glad to get them. But when I opened the box, they looked like they had been repacked and there was some sort of material on one of the flanges. Ends up the installer had to deck and twist the passenger side header to get it to mate with the block correctly. AC either sold me a set of take-offs or someone returned them because of a defect and they repacked 'em and shipped them to me AT FULL RETAIL. First and last thing I ever bought from them... bastids.

The driver side y-pipe doesn't take the EGR valve, that valve is attached to the drivers side of the intake plenum a little below and behind the throttle body, the control diaphragm is located above and a little forward of the valve attached to a bracket on the plenum. The EGR tube runs from that valve to the drivers side header just as it did on the original exhaust manifold.

4x4parts.com? Well thar's yer prollem right thar!

When I ordered my Thorleys, AC was the only place ANYWHERE that had a set so I was glad to get them. But when I opened the box, they looked like they had been repacked and there was some sort of material on one of the flanges. Ends up the installer had to deck and twist the passenger side header to get it to mate with the block correctly. AC either sold me a set of take-offs or someone returned them because of a defect and they repacked 'em and shipped them to me AT FULL RETAIL. First and last thing I ever bought from them... bastids.

I went to look at them and you are right. AC's the culprit. They sent me headers made for something other than a pathy. The headers installed makes the end of the y-pipe hit the underside and left wall of the truck. It's way too short and is about 6 inches off to the right of the cat hitting the side of the truck. The mechanic kid who works for the shop has some problem with English and I guess he meant several inches. The ERG hole isn't even the right size.

Feel bad for bashing the shop when AC's running some sketchy operation down there in FL. The pathy's been sitting at that shop for 2 days and I don't have time to wait or can't even count on AC shipping out the right header. (I'm sure I'll have to wait at least a month if they even agree to send out a replacement).

I'm gonna have to just have them cut and do some mickey mouse sh t to make it work. Really pissed that I saved up money for some expensive headers only to have to cut serious angles in it to even make it fit. Never again am I giving Automotive Customizers my business.

Incidentally they have to shift my entire exhaust towards the outer wall and relocate the cat further down the pipe to make this work. As you can see I'm still pissed. Fair warning to you guys, do not trust ACs to even do their job. Are they a bunch of morons or what?

They've been hit or miss for years. Some people have had great luck, others, not so much....unfortunately, they're our main source for aftermarket parts. :shrug:

Sorry to hear about your issues, though.

When I installed my Throleys, the Headers were torqued on the engine. The 3 bolts for the drop down and cross over were in but I did not tighten them up until I also had the Y-pipe threaded into the STOCK Exhaust... Then I went around and Tightend all of the piping up....

I opted for cutting the EGR Tube and adding 1" to it... Did not have a torch handy to reform it...

When I had to remove the engine to swap out the JDM Flywheel for my original one, every thing went back together np...

Robbie click the link in my sig and verify you have the correct Part ### DTD-464-2.

Hastfic had a problem with his thorleys in his 88? 89?.....

Edited by Casey.T

Are you still going to have Frankentheaders made, or just have the stock stuff put back in place so you can fight AC? Which, from what I heard, AC won't budge on lots of stuff, so good luck there. Man, this sucks, good luck! *looks at my Pacesetter headers in the corner to be installed and shudders*

Thanks for the info. Yeah they have the right part number on em. I hope your suggestion will work and I'll have the the shop do that tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by robbie