bartmk

I am very interested, but I keep getting this for the link:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Header Poll</TITLE>

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Created by Website Builder">

</HEAD>

<BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

<DIV style="position:absolute; left:14px; top:14px; width:350px; height:255px; z-index:0" align="left" align="top">

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.pollverize.com/polls/1996.js"></script>

<noscript>You must enable JavaScript to vote in this poll from <a href="http://www.pollverize.com/" title="Free remotely hosted polls">Pollverize</a>.</noscript>

</DIV>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of getting rid of the cats with these new headers? I don't actually know what the cats do but I do know they are crazy expensive to replace.

Edited by bartmk

The pros in keeping them are:

1. You are not violating federal laws by removing them. Many people seem to think that if you do not have emission testing in your area, you can remove them. This is not true. It is a federal crime to remove emission control devices.

2. Cats remove some of the toxic gases emitted by your vehicle.

3. Your engine control unit (ECU) is programmed for optimum performance including the cats in the system.

The cons in keeping:

1. They are costly, but unless clogged, you probably don't need to replace the existing ones.

2. Some performance gain might be achieved without them, but I don't think there is any quantitative evidence. I could be wrong here and I'm sure someone will let me know.

There is a performance gain from not running cats....HOWEVER, that's the oem cats. An aftermarket cat like one from catco or magnaflow has only marginal performance loss (like 1hp) and will keep the earth greener. I had some dyno charts tucked away somewhere, lemme find them.

It also sound very rough with test pipes in. Not really the smooth, deep rumble you would get from a flowmaster or magnaflow.

tmorgan - link still doesn't work.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket headers for the '97 model Pathfinders? From what I've heard, no one makes them?  Seems hard for me to believe.

I dont know if anyone has tried, but spencer low racing makes headers for the 3.3 in the xterras and frontiers. Maybe its worth a call.

www.spencerlowracing.com

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

They're even more expensive now. :lol: The site hasn't been updated for a LONG time and they were up to either $550 or $575 the last time I emailed them.

That's one of the main reasons I'm wanting to get another manufacturer for them, but also due to the lack of customer service. Some people are waiting 3-4 months without any communication from the company. Not someone I want to send my $550 to!

I have no idea why the page is working for some and not for others...

When it doesn't come up, it says Javascript needs to be enabled???

It works for me almost every time.

What setup would you be most interested in? Parenthesis symbolize model they're going on!

Xterra/Frontier - NO cats 

0% (0 Votes)

Pathfinder (96-00 3.3L only) - NO cats 

20% (3 Votes)

Xterra/Frontier - Keep cats - (1 cat each side stock) 

33% (5 Votes)

Xterra/Frontier - Keep cats - (2 cats each side stock, CA legal) 

7% (1 Votes)

Xterra/Frontier - Keep cats - (2 cats each side w/ EGR system stock) 

13% (2 Votes)

Pathfinder (96-00 3.3L only) - Keep cats 

27% (4 Votes)

15 total votes since Jan 5, 2007

Get a free poll at Pollverize 

I don't know enough about this crap. I posted a few different polls on my website trying to find out which one would work well. Adding .html on the address changed it to another poll which I didn't like..that isn't the same one. I found those ads afterwards that wont' let you vote on the top two choices.

If you could figure out why it wont work it would be GREAT.

I decided to use one of the crappy free poll sites so everyone on the 5 websites I posted this on could vote without registering on another forum.

Here's the code it gives me. Any way to host it here? A bunch of the forums have the script feature disabled...

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.pollverize.com/polls/1996.js"></script>

<noscript>You must enable JavaScript to vote in this poll from <a href="http://www.pollverize.com/" title="Free remotely hosted polls">Pollverize</a>.</noscript>