calling all tranny swappers....

sammyb33

How in the WORLD did you get to the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate???

please some helpful hints or maybe im missing something obvious, but i cant get in straight to get them with a socket, and they are to close to the lip of the flex plate to get them with a wrench, so im going out to pick up some swivel headed wrenches, and some offset wrenches.....

HINTS PLEASE!!

-sam

Access the 4 14mm bolts through the starter hole, you may also need to remove the bottom cover plate between the tranny and motor... 2' of extensions work well and the bolts are LokTited in.....

yea got um out.....had to pull what looked like a gussent/stiffner(SP?)  which gave me more clearance....thanks!

Glad you got it. I was gonna suggest just that. I almost forgot to put that starter gusset back on. :hide:

Sounds like you're moving right along with the swap. Did you already tackle the dash?

(Someones gonna ask why the dash has anything to do with a tranny swap.)

:D

yea dash is done....put both pedals in...struggled with that for a while...finally got both the brake and clutch pedals in....wasnt too terribly bad....

now im just wondering.....went to put the pressure plate on the flywheel, tried to put the pilot bushing in, and it wont fit....ill have to snap a pic of what im talking about, is there some type of (pilot bushing type deal) on the crank for the torque converter??? cuz it looks like there is something there....dont know exactly what to call it, but i guess im asking what all did you have to remove from the crank to do your swap????

thanks

prob some sort of pilot bushing...they have pullers...u can use clay and some sort of rod to push it out...i always just take a 1/16" drill bit and drill on top and bottom the carefully hit it with a chisel and pull both halves out... then u should have to press the new pilot bushing in...

you are doing auto to manual?

yes auto to manual....

it suprisingly not that hard....i havent run into that terribly much....its just taking me so long because i am working outside (on the driveway) and working on top of that....

but i believe once i have this done, i should be able to do it again, easily :)

also, if anyone wants a perfectly good auto tranny......PM me

-sam

theres a switch for the auto shifter...either take the shifter apart and get this switch out or clip the right 2 wires and solder them together... (its the neutral lockout switch i believe if u look at the schematic) it will prevent fire from getting to the cylinders...