update on my frame

adamzan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88's right. You have ot be a fawkin idiot to blame nissan that YOUR frame fell apart because YOU didnt mantain it, like THEY stated in the manual.

take any new car, and dont preform proper maitness on it and see what shape its in, 13 years down the road. see how long that new motor lasts when you dont replace the oil. or air filter. plugs. oitfilter. list goes on, and on, and on...you CANT say those are a different thing. its ALL maitness. all manufactures state that you have to do different things for different vehicals. and on the pathfinder one of them was to clean the frame.

if the frame roted away like that a year after you bought it you may have some ground. but not 13 years later. those pictures just show you what lazyness gets you.

maybe we should start a lawsuit because our gas tank was empty a week after we bought our new car :blink:

Sorry but Fawk you! I am the original owner of my 1995 SE-V6. I know how the frame was treated from day one of ownership. I can recall many a day when I feared that I had frost bite on my fingers because I was cleaning my Path in the winter. And YES of course I cleaned the frame as best as possible inside!

Many friends consider me "car crazy" due to the constant care that I give my Path! If the body is an example it still shines like new. But I was always dilligent with the frame and undercarriage. And YES there are TONS of 13yr old cars/trucks that have had no care whatsoever and they are not rotted any where near what many Path's are!

You are correct that there would most likely be little luck in a law suit against Nissan, but the frames are total garbage. If you think that it is juat lack of owner care, then your head is buried deep in the sand! How could anyone in the right mind say that the quality is good?

My 2 cents!

Zack

Edited by zack1978

Hey guys not to be rude or interupt your discussion but does 500 bucks flat sound reasonable to do this??

I paid $900.00 to have both sides done. I think the quality is great, and this is a safety item. THere is no way that I would mess with this.

Zack

And YES there are TONS of 13yr old cars/trucks that have had no care whatsoever and they are not rotted any where near what many Path's are!

I see tons of Pathfinders in the junkyard with no rust whatsoever. It depends on where you live. If you live in a salted-road area, expect rust.

I see tons of Pathfinders in the junkyard with no rust whatsoever. It depends on where you live. If you live in a salted-road area, expect rust.

Yes, but even in an area that salt is used the frames still should not rot the way they are.

Zack

My opinion, on this topic is that it's a 50/50 thing. Yes, maintenance of the frame is key, as with any aspect of the vehicle, though, I have to say that the frames more prone to rust than almost any other vehicle I've seen. For instance, my parent's 95 Explorer frame is in damn near pristine condition, and has spent it's entire life in the same salt infested area as my 95, which has had some frame repair, and is in need of more.

Let's be a little more levelheaded here guys.....Nissan made a good truck, that, yes, has flaws. As does any other vehicle.

No need to beat it into the ground, nor make it out to be something far more wonderful than it is.

My opinion, on this topic is that it's a 50/50 thing. Yes, maintenance of the frame is key, as with any aspect of the vehicle, though, I have to say that the frames more prone to rust than almost any other vehicle I've seen. For instance, my parent's 95 Explorer frame is in damn near pristine condition, and has spent it's entire life in the same salt infested area as my 95, which has had some frame repair, and is in need of more.

Let's be a little more levelheaded here guys.....Nissan made a good truck, that, yes, has flaws. As does any other vehicle.

No need to beat it into the ground, nor make it out to be something far more wonderful than it is.

I guess that was my point, that YES it does have flaws as any car/truck would have. But the frame is a VERY important part, so therefore that is a MAJOR flaw!

Zack

Another unexpected problem came up with my pathy. I wanted to changed the belts, the alternator one was finished, but when i was losening the alternator adjustment bolt ( the big long one) the head snapped off inside my socket. Can I get another one of these bolts at like canadian tire or something?

Mine snapped off mine 2 years ago. Now I just use a prybar to adjust the tension, and tighten the upper and lower bolts. I've had no issues that way.

Alright thanks, and i know its off topic but is there an easier way to get the power steering one loose? my hands and ratchet can't get any leverage. I do have the skid plate off and are working from the bottom.

thanks

Oh and in that second picture i see there is a line hanging down and lines along thr frame. Would those be gas or brake lines? Also they look like they are flexed around. Are they rubber or metal??

Edited by redfinder

Sorry but Fawk you! I am the original owner of my 1995 SE-V6. I know how the frame was treated from day one of ownership. I can recall many a day when I feared that I had frost bite on my fingers because I was cleaning my Path in the winter. And YES of course I cleaned the frame as best as possible inside!

Many friends consider me "car crazy" due to the constant care that I give my Path! If the body is an example it still shines like new. But I was always dilligent with the frame and undercarriage. And YES there are TONS of 13yr old cars/trucks that have had no care whatsoever and they are not rotted any where near what many Path's are!

You are correct that there would most likely be little luck in a law suit against Nissan, but the frames are total garbage. If you think that it is juat lack of owner care, then your head is buried deep in the sand! How could anyone in the right mind say that the quality is good?

My 2 cents!

Zack

Just to make sure big guy, you do know that I NEVER said the quailty of these frames are good, or anywere near that. right?

NEVER said it was all because of lack of maitness. Did say quality care goes a long way with these frames. had a perfect example of this last year. had a 94 pathy that was in manitoba ALL its life. we use ALOT of salt up here. and it had NO frame rot.

Please show me a car that is 13 years old. that has had NO care WHAT SO EVER, that is in good shape.

back to the topic tho, $500 sounds alright. if you brought it to my house Id do it for $200-$300 based on what ive seen in the pics. but im in Winnipeg.

woah you posted that exactly when i was gonna add this to my other post. Yeah and the person whos gonna do it is definitly a pro.

"Oh and in that second picture i see there is a line hanging down and lines along thr frame. Would those be gas or brake lines? Also they look like they are flexed around. Are they rubber or metal??"

The e-brake cables are rubber/plastic coated. The brake line is metal from the frame to the center of your upper control arm crossmember, which isn't connected to your frame anymore due to rust. Be careful with that brake line. It goes to a rubber hose from the crossmember down to the axle, cause the axle has to move and metal lines won't cut the mustard there. ;)

I found a pic of the whole pathy, looks great I think for a 93. And by the way the previous owner took very good care of this truck and the frame still rotted. And those are the second set of bumpers on that truck.

im000497or2.jpg

my frame isn't quite that bad, I don't have any rust holes in the bottom of the frame larger than a golf ball, but on the outer side (on both driver and pass. sides) there are a couple holes about the size of a grapefruit. I hope you don't run into too much trouble replacing/repairing yours. I think the work needed on mine will have to wait until I get all the mechanical/electronic quirks fixed.