Speedometers and odometers....

SaKaNa

OK guys. My inspection is up fairly soon, theres two ways I can do this. I can have a nicely placed Benjamin somewhere near the front when my mechanic does his inspection... OR I can start fixing things.

My speedometer stays around 0MPH most of the time, when I'm going 90 or so, it bounces up to 30 every once in a while. The speed sensor shows the speed fine when connected to a computer.

The odometer has moved up about 60-70 miles in the last 5 months or so. Obviously, if I try to go through inspection and they catch this, I'm going to have quite the problem.

Basically, I need to replace the entire cluster, BUT I have the analog odometer, and can only find digital ones... Theres no way to connect that is there? I've got to fix like only two things to pass inspection, which is the speedometer/odometer, and the airbag light, then I'm legal again.

So for swaping this for a new one, what am I looking at here? I've got a 97 XE and can only find 98+ ones that want digital odometers :\

Well, speedometers and odometers are nice things to have working anyway... I hate when I'm driving down a dark road at night, I'm the only one on it, and my radar detectors screaming about the cop one block down the road, and I have no idea how fast I'm going. Plus, I like to know distances between places sometimes, and I cant find that out too easily without an odometer, can I?

I like to know distances between places sometimes, and I cant find that out too easily without an odometer, can I?

Get a GPS.

You said the VSS works fine when hooked to a computer. Do you mean that you have an OBDII scanner that shows the VSS signal? Before you go replacing your instrument cluster, you should check the speedometer wire feeding the cluster. Have you ever installed any electrical goodies that required you to access behind the dash? Have you moved or cut any wires under there?

I'm not sure if instrument clusters are legal to buy at salvage yards, but if your cluster is bad, you might try contacting a few Nissan salvage yards to see if you can get a replacement analog cluster.

Here's a couple to try:

ninfiniti.com

autogator.com

You may also want to check the speedo pinion gear and check for wear or stripping. I just found one on a 97 QX4. Had to replace the pinion and drive gear.

Also, they make you repair your airbags on a inspection before you pass? WTF, why does that matter? Oh, you probably have a cooked air bag control unit. Ive have done a ton of those. But you shoud be able to clear the code be pressing the door switch a bunch of times. I dont quite remember how to do it, but I think its on here somewhere. Do it just before your inspection and your golden.

I havent done anything behind there... And a family friend of ours is a local mechanic, so he plugged his little computer thing in under the steering wheel and me and him drove around the block, and the engine RPM and MPH were shown just fine on that... so it cant be the VSS...

One day I'm just cruising down the highway and it started bouncing, and was dead. Instrument clusters are something that seem to have an interesting legality on, you can buy them used, but of course they'll have the wrong milage... maybe you'er supposed to spin it till it hits what you were at?

Anyway, how would I go about checking the cables that go back there? How do I remove the existing cluster, etc... I'll make it my Friday project.

To remove the cluster, you'll probably need to remove the lower dash and the steering wheel covers to get enough clearance. Then, you remove the screws holding on the cluster shroud, which should reveal the screws holding the cluster in place. Beyond that, it's primarily a matter of strategically maneuvering the cluster into a position that allows you to a) unplug the wiring harnesses on it and B) move it past the steering wheel.

Good luck!

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if there are other years of our pathy that we can interchange our instrument clusters with? I've got a 97 that has one that needs to be replaced. Will the WD21s work?

i also have a 97 klondike and my speedo has been out for almost 9 months now, and i have yet to get a speeding ticket maybe this maylong ill get lucky and get pulled over haha, i cant find any dash clusters with low milage like mine im looking for around 180.000kms if anyone knows where i could get one from drop me a line please new or used, i have a 5speed pathy im not sure if a speedo out of an automatic will work.

so update on me getting lucky over the long weekend and getting a ticket i managed to get one from a cop posted up behind his undercover black suv on the side of the hiway with his hood up 96 in a 70 zone = 150 dollar fine