Maybe a new pathy

mattd123

Well, now that my rathfinder is a 4 foot cube I need tp find something eles to drive. ai can get a WD21 for around 1,000. its has 100k miles maybe and a new clutch. is this a decent price for it i think its an 88 or 89. I know that its nothing like my r50 but i really want another pathy. What is a good price range on the WD21 with 150kish miles? they hold value well in the state because of 4wd, i know they can range in price but what is too much to pay for one of these. And dont be saing "you cant pay too much for a pathy" :P i dont plan on doing much work on it other than tires and maybe a lift. im lookinh for a 5sp only because i like them. any help? or if one of you guys who has like 4 pathy's feel like sponsering me one that would be cool too>. :crazy:P...

According to your profile, you're in Mass?

Back east, I think rust level will be a HUGE cost factor.

I personally think transmission is a cost factor as well (5 speed is worth more than autotragic in my book).

Lastly is how well it has been cared for.

A straight, unwrecked, very well maintained (lots of records), reliable, fully functional, good running 2 door 5 speed with no rust and only 100K miles would EASILY be worth $1500, IMHO. Knock off at least $500 for rusted chassis... $500 if poorly maintained.... $1000 if signs it was abused.... $250 for automatic..... $200 for lots of niggle repairs.... $100 if not tuned up in last 100 miles.... etc etc etc

I personally put less value on miles than I do on how it was taken care of. A meticulously maintained and cared about pathy with 180K miles will be more reliable and have more miles in it than one with 60K miles that had been driven hard by some clueless snot nosed kid who revved it to 5K rpm everytime he started it, never perfomed any PM, tried to jump it, and used the cheapest oil he could find... The best used cars are the ones that were somebody's "baby" that they clearly loved and cared for.

Bottom line, I research/inspect the previous owner every bit as thoroughly as the vehicle itself. I've never bought used from a dealer as that prevents me from researching some of the most critical elements... And I would have to resort to trusting the used car dealer for any info.... :o

Edited by mws

Hey Im some clueless kid (17) whos revved their engine to 5k rpm a few times but I still respect my truck. And mws said if its been well maintained it'll last forever if you want it too. Oh and yes check for rust, especially on the frame.

hey, im some snot kid too(17 also) and Ill admit, I beat the chit outa my truck. but I love the thing to death. if I break somthing, good. it was gona break anyways. ill just make it better, bigger, and stronger.

and FYI, red lines 6 tho. and with dirty threes on, that little red line is touched a decent amount :D nah, jkjk. I get scared 4500 and back off. it aint a race car.

Occaisionally using at higher rpm when fully warmed up is not so bad, what kills engines fast is revving them right after they're started - before the oil is flowing. I see (hear) stupid people do that all the time. One episode of that will cause more wear than 10K miles of freeway driving...