grinding noise...grease

94extreme

I hear a grinding noise (metallic humm) only in 4x4 and not really in 4lo-can't tell there. The noise still persist even if out of 4x4 but with front wheels still locked. It seems to originate in the front diff area. From the records I sure don't see the fluid ever being changed there. The tk is at 95k mi or so (94 xe). Any ideas on this?

since I'll have to do the oil change in it, for sure, what kind of oil do I use? weights?

rear diff: i don't have an orange sticker on it, the wheels spin in the same dir when in N, how can I be sure if it is or isn't LSD? does it take the same grease as the front one?

I also saw something about replacing oil in the manual tranny. What kind of oil should I use there? and since I haven't looked yet, sorry, but where are the drain and refill plugs located? is there a separate compartment for clutch oil? if any.

I can't find my book that i had for my previous baby (RIP) so I'd appreciate your imput. thanks

:takebow:

paitence grass hoper....

:hide:

the front diff you can use a medium duty gear oil, just drain what ever is in there and refill with new stuff

lsd: jack the rear of the car up, in neutral, then spin the wheels, if the spin the same way then you do have lsd if they spin in opposite directions then you have an open diff. if you have an open diff you can use the same oil as the front but if you have an lsd you must use lsd oil.

manual tranny again medium duty gear oil, drain the old stuff and refill. the plug is on the side from memory

hope this helps

Oh, i appreciate your answer sw,

medium duty is? 75w90? should i go with higher numbers or lower. seems maybe i do have lsd since the wheels spin in the same dir. but there is no sticker of any kind. is there another way to find out?

no ideas on the possible grinding sounds? hopefully it is not going kaput.

thanks

p.s. i don't think i could hide under that chair - 6-2; only if it was metric maybe then :)

not exaclty sure on the weights of oil, auto parts store should have a list of what oils are suited to what vehicles, just go in and talk to the attendant.

;)

grinding noise, maybe its wearing out, i dont know however i do know my front diff makes a little bit a noise when engaged, but i wouldnt hesitate for a second to use it. hasnt let me down yet

another way to find out able the lsd is to ring a Nissan dealerhsip with your VIN number and they should be able to trace back in there records.

;)

:dance:

Front and rear diffs both take standard GL-5 80W-90. T-case takes GL-4 75W-90 or 80W-90. Can't say on the metallic hum noise.

Try this for the rear diff LSD test: jack up the rear diff, chock the front wheels, put it in drive. Use a piece of 2x4 placed flat under the tire to apply pressure upwards on the tire from the front, which would act as a brake to slow the wheelspin. If the tire stops spinning and the other still spins, you have an open diff. If it takes a significant amount of pressure to stop the wheel or it won't stop at all, you have the LSD. Be careful testing this way because if the vehicle falls off the jack or stands it could run away in gear. :)

88... you must have alot of time on your hands. that sounds like the hard way to check.. but functional.. about the vehicle running away, any experiance with this? :cool2:

Thanks 88,

it's on 4 stands right now but 30mi away so we'll try the 2x4 trick this weekend. I'm gonna try the stealer on that one too. We'll see if they could track it down.

OK, it's been waaay too long: t-case = tranfer case? is that the one to the driver's side and rear of tranny? engages the 4wheel drive with the forward drive shaft? that's where the noise is coming from. I though that was the front diff, but will have to look this weekend. darn, i wish i could find my old book...

I'll ask about the fluids on my next trip to the parts store and post.

shoot 88, i just remember one shaft pointing forward and the thing is bolted kinda to the side and back of the tranny. I did not see any leaks but will exchange all fluids just in case. The rear diff was done just a few k ago, i think. i'll be out in the country tomorrow to check and work on it some. The tires aren't here yet though. :(