Two issues to solve...need help

jammer

I bought another 95 Pathy and since it is in much better shape then mine my wife claimed it! Now I only get to drive it when I can sneak away without her knowing and every time I do I find or hear something that's different then mine and have to investigate.

The first issue is with the tach. It never worked from when I bought it. It was pegged out at the max, even when off, and never moved except when it was floored and then the needle would jump back about 1000 rpm. While driving I was doing some diagnosis the other day on it but didn't figure out anything more then I already knew. The next day I got in and the tach started working :confused: Has this happened to anyone else?

The other issue is a slight hum that comes from the back end while driving. The hum is faint but can be easily heard. It only hums when the accelerator is pushed. When I'm coasting no noise but as soon as I touch the accelerator, even ever so slightly, the hum starts. The hum sounds like new knoby tires but obviously it isn't that. It can be heard from around 50 kph (30 mph) to around 100 kph (60 mph) as road noise cancells it out at that point. Does change slightly with speed.

I appreciate all your help as the closest dealer is 2 hrs away and I have not had much success finding a good mechanic locally.

The other issue is a slight hum that comes from the back end while driving.  The hum is faint but can be easily heard.  It only hums when the accelerator is pushed. When I'm coasting no noise but as soon as I touch the accelerator, even ever so slightly, the hum starts.

That almost sounds like a t-case or diff that's low on oil, my t-case made a similar noise before it went out. Make sure you check the oil level in the diffs, t-case and tranny.

Edited by NC95Pathfinder

^ditto. Sounds like something in the drive train is unhappy under load. Change fluids and lube the universal joints first. I'd do it one at a time so you can determine where the issue is if it goes away.

B

I'll definately try all these suggestions. I only wish I had noticed it a few months ago as this AM we were sitting at -22 C. I'll have to see if I can find a kind heart with some heated garage space.

Thanks again

The tach problem sounds like the needle has been forced backwards. I just replaced my guages with aftermarket ones and after taking off my needles I put them back on and they did not work :X The tach was maxed out, and my speedo just did not move. so I had to drive around while turnign them clockwise until they started working again.