Temp Gauge

PathFound

There's some strange stuff going on with my temperature gauge.

1. When the engine is warmed, the gauge reads at about the 1/3 mark. It's always been like this and the engine runs fine. However, I assumed it SHOULD read right in the middle - like most gauges do. But because there's no temperature number markings I guess it works fine. Generally, it takes a while before the gauge moves to its operating temperature reading. For example, once the truck engine is completely warmed, then shut off for a few minutes, then re-started, it takes another few minutes for the gauge to go back to the normal operating temp, which is the 1/3 mark. Anyone else experince this? All the other cars I've had do not do this. Do Pathfinders supposed to have slow moving gauges? Where does the temp gauge read on your Pathfinder?

2. When descending a hill in 4HI or 4LO, I usually use 2nd or 3rd gear as 'engine braking' to help control the speed of the vehicle and use the brakes less so they don't heat up or warp. However, when descending, my engine temperature gauge drops to the cool spot. It doesn't go completely to the bottom. It reads about 1/10. It doesn't drop immediately; it takes a few minutes of descending for the temp gauge to go down. I have experienced this on a cold day and hot summer days. The engine still operates fine. I'm wondering if it's the gauge or my engine?

Also, I should mention that my truck has a small coolant leak which I believe is coming from the water pump. After driving the truck far enough I usually need to top up the coolant reservior.

Thanks.