exhaust options

nissandoms47

well my engine is so damn loud tyler and i narrowed it down to the exhaust which is causing 97% of the loudness around and in my pathy. the other 3% is the ps pump again. so im in the market for another exhaust. what kinds do you have, which muffler and how big of pipe are you using. did you Y pipe it before the muffler and use a single in single out or dual in single out like stock?

thanks

alex

Since I will be getting a new path..oe everything..I am going to try something different this time. I want a true dual exhaust. I am using the VQ3.5 for my excuse to try it.

I am going to use 2 of the flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers, a Magnaflow X pipe and cut the OE pipe off as close to the manifolds as possible. The X pipe will go just in front of where the OE muffler was and then the 2 mufflers just after or just before their exit of the vehicle under the rear bumper.

Those Hushpower Mufflers seem to be as close to straight through as possible and they are steel inside....likewise the X will help scavange to a degree.Hush-?-Power

Hopefully not too loud!

Edited by 98silverpathy

thanks for your input! i was thinkin more of a magnaflow dual in single out 2.25 in 2.5 out. what length of muffler should i get? the guy at the shop told me an 18 inch magnaflow will do good. anything shorter will cause a drone in the cabin.

alex

I have a 97 QX4 and replaced the exhaust with custom piping and a Magna Flow muffler. As I recall, the piping was replaced after the cats with 2.25-inch piping and an 18-inch Magna Flow muffler. Make sure the resonator is replaced.

The resonator is the hot dog shaped pipe that is located after the cats and before the muffler. What I meant about replacing the resonator, is to make sure it is installed with the new exhaust.

I made the mistake of installing the new exhaust without the resonator and now I have a drone/rasp at ~3,000 rpm. Need some time to put the resonator back on. Hope this helps!