Pathfinder Performance

Guest pdr1979

Guest pdr1979

I have owned my 98 pathfinder for 4 years and seem to be getting really unhappy with its performance. It seems to be really sluggish in power ecspecially when getting on the highway or going up a hill. I have had 2 tune ups done on it, used a K&N airfilter but have only seen the performance decline, I was hoping some out there would be able to give me some insite.

First of all welcome! :beer: Let me ask a few questions. Have you had it to any repair facility to have it checked out? Set codes could lead to to something. Is your K&N been oiled? If it has, oil may have got passed the filter and onto the Mass Airflow Sensor. There is a write up on here to clean it properly I think. Does it idle funny, rough, low, high? What kind of tune up parts did you use? Most everyone on here swears by NGK spark plugs, they do work well. Last, check your trans fluid color & smell. Make sure you dont have something major going on, hopefully not. Hope this helps you!

Welecome to the forums WAVEY

There is not a lot to add to what has already been said above... cleaning, code checking and have it looked at.

----------------------

5523, what does that involve (i have an idea of it) and most importantly.. what does it cost the "rest of us" ;)

Our induction service is $145. Most of the price is in the chemicals, they aint cheap. We attatch a apparatus(hope I spelled that right) to the intake just after the air flow meter. The chemicals are poured in and pressurized with air. As the chemical is pushed out the nozzle, it is atomized and drawn into the throttle body. It helps disolve the carbon buildup on the throttle body and down the intake and onto the valves. As it runs the chemical and carbon are burned off. It is catalytic converter safe, but makes a decent amount of smoke and can smell a bit. We use BG chemicals and they are great. We used Justice Brothers a long time ago, and it didnt do as good a job as the BG stuff. BG recommends doing the service every other oil change "to stay at optimal performance". I recommned customers to it once a year or 15k miles. Definatly worth the money, especially on the VG30. If you pay close enough attention, you should be able to tell the difference it the way it runs, idles, acclerates and possibly regain a few MPG's. Here's the link to thier website..

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

We use a three pack of the Air intake cleaner(2) and the 44K(1). Hope that answers some questions. But if you have more just ask.

• 2 weeks later...