DEAL or NO DEAL?

Guest atom

Hello wise forum. I've found a 93 4x4 std trans, california-livin, 159k pathfinder. I like it a lot, but really because its within my budget - 1700 bucks! Now, I've read that the belt is a huge issue, but the owner doesn't have any idea when it was last done... so i figure thats the first thing I need to worry about. I could probably do it myself, but how much is this a concern and should it discourage me? It drives comfortable and doesn't have any known issues. Is this a good deal? Thanks in advance. Adam, Austin, TX.

First of all, Welcome! You will be able to find everything you want on this site regarding your Pathfinder(you may have to search for some things). Yeah, the timeing belt is very important being the engines are interference motors. If the previous owner doesnt know when it was last replaced, check for any stickers or labels under the hood for recent, or last service. But replacing it is the best way to go, its good insurance also. There are write-ups about how to do it on here, just search and you will find! Once again, welcome and enjoy!

I would describe it as a long, involved, annoying process, that is relatively simple.

You have to remove about 1000 things to get to the timing belt, and then put them back on in exactly the same order and make sure you get everything back right. It can be aggravating, and messy.

A shop will charge you 6-8 hours of labor to do it. It took me about 6 hours to do mine, including breaks and a parts run.

Welcome Adam WAVEY

Timing belts are not hard to do, just the first time takes a while ;)

And if you don't know when it was last done, just take the age old advice... "When it doubt, cut it out".. oh wait, forget that last part, that is something else :D

If you don't know, then change it. It costs little and can save you a small fortune :aok: