service manuals

milehighcowboy

so i have a chiltons manual you guys were saying that a dealer manual would be good as well. do you guys think these are better than the chilton. i cant find hanyes any more. but i know the one i have does not tell you how to replace the timing belt only how to check it. thanks.

ben

You can download the factory service manual in PDF format....which is INFINITELY better than a chilton's or Haynes.

There are links here on the board somewhere, do a search.

I found the Haynes told you to do a lot of extra work. I almost removed my intake manifold as per haynes until a buddy showed me how to do it. The part where it describes how to change the belt is burried in directions to completely tear down the engine.

Exact same procedure for 87-95 VG30 engines. The only difference is a bit of accessories and the belt itself, from 87-92 they're square-toothed, from 93-95 they're round-toothed. My Chilton's has a fairly decent write-up in it, are you sure you were looking in the correct section?

yea i re-read the manual and did find the section for it i must have overlooked it the first time. lol. so then how do you know what steps to do and which to not do?

sly practice makes perfect. as you go along you'll figure out what can stay and what can't.. the intake can DEFINITELY stay, as can the valve covers. the only use of having the valve covers off is to loosen the rocker bar for ease of cam adjustment/maneuvering.