Popping noise (suspension)

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Good afternoon all.

Took my pathy in yesterday to a local tire shop and asked them to check whats causing a popping noise on my pathy, Of course they couldnt find it instead they handed me an estimate to replace my shaft boots. $670 for front left and right.

I didnt want to be rude and just told the guy that ill wait a while.

Already bought my axles at the junkyard for $80 for the pair.

Anyways, Do you guys have any idea whats causing this popping noise? It does it when I hit bumps..or when I take off.

Ive seen a post somewhere before about this popping noise and I think it was the cross bar or something thats loose and needs to be tightened to 100ft. LB

Any help guys. :cool2:

Thanks

Edited by SuperSon

I had that problem, but it was happening because the compression rod bushings were just about gone and the assembly was moving back and forth, but since they didn't diagnose that on yours then the only thing that I can think of is maybe your cv boots are just making noise.

If it was your cv boots then the noise would only happen when you are making really sharp turns, so those are the only things that I can think of.

Edited by Jdpathy

The CV's don't spin in 2WD anyway, so they won't make noise. Retorquing the front frame-to-crossmember bolts often solves a popping noise in the front end, yes. Apart from that, I can't say. It's tough to troubleshoot problems over the internet. ;)

Damn, they want a lot for CV axles. They only run $110-$125 each new to begin with.

I'd bet compression rods. Any two bit mechanic wouldn't take the time to examine those especially at the frame connection. Do yourself a favor and check there. If nothing else you can rule the rods out. However, yours might already be broken and that popping sound is the compression rod "popping" in and out of place. I'll throw pic of my trashed ones up tonight for inspiration. If you have 100K miles or so I'd check there. Mr. Pickles put up a warning to us all some time back. The guy is dead nuts on. Check your rods.

Recently converted compression rod inspction preacher.

M

Guest SuperSon

Thanks for the reply guys. Im going to change my cv boot this coming weekend.

Not quite sure where to look for the compression rod. I dont even know how it looks like.

I would really appreciate if you could show me a pic of the comp rod M.

Im not getting any email alert on replies lately so if you dont mind could you please send a pic at my email addy suprson@gmail.com if not no big deal.Ill just keep checking here :D

NissanIFS2.jpg

Yellow are the bolts that need to be torqued to 100 ft pounds. Red are the tension rods and pink are the bushings. Aslo the parts circled in blue are the torsion bars, not to be confused with the tension rods.

Guest SuperSon

Awesome. Thanks for that well illustrated pic FLA.

Looking at the bolts that has to be retorqued,Im seeing 3. Those all needs to be retorqued at 100ft LB right?

On the comp rod , Do I just need to replace the bushings?

Thanks again :aok::aok::aok::aok:

In the yellow box you can see three, but theres only two that need to be torqued, let me show you...

Closeup.jpg

Also, you should check the compression rod bushings, they may be hard to tell if they are bad so my advice would be to back the HUGE nut on the compression rod off and pull the bushing off, that should tell you if they are bad, the hole they go through should be a circle, not an oval, BTW. If they are bad then go about replacing them, bascily what I just explained is about half of the removal process.

I know that Autozone has them, I forget what they call them, either a tension rod or a compression rod. Either way most part stores should carry them. Also, if its not to expensive try getting a poly bushings, they are tighter and last longer but im sure they are much more expensive.

Guest SuperSon

Right on. Ill use the poly if thats going to last longer.

Ill take the old one with me if its bad so we can compare it to the new one.

Thanks again Fla .. :aok::beer::beer: Beer's on me

th_P1010207.jpg

Sooner or later I'll get this pic posting thing sorted. But anyway here is the business end of the compression rods. My 'finder had about 165K on it when this one snapped by simply rolling out of my driveway. It will be tough to determine the condition of your rods without removal to examine the area under the bushings. The design inheriently traps water grit and whatever else and slowly decays. Good luck on your trouble shooting.

I consider myself an expert when it comes to compression rods cause I just did mine.

Here are some photos to show you a little bit there location is that short rod that connects the lower control arm to the frame.

some pics I can't figure out how to put them all on one page so you will have to deal with lots of posts.

This is a picture of one of the bushings (rather torn up) and a sleeve. You can buy the bushings and the sleeve. The bushings cost me approx 80$( I will check the receipt now cause since superson got them for 15 a piece I think something went awry) for the 4 required to do both sides. The sleeves are 7 dollars each and you would need 2 if you are replacing both sides. I was lucky and did not have to buy a whole new compression rod but my frame brackets widened out a little bit because I had bad bushings and the brackets would have been about 75$ apiece and the old ones would have needed to be cut off the frame and new ones welded on. so I just bought the new bushings and sleeves and tightened them down as far as I could.

Haven't tested it yet, but I think that it will work.

This picture Is of ONE bushing that got torn up and a sleeve that was torn up as well.

Edit: The bushing was not 80 some dollars I was looking at the wrong numbers sorry.

Edited by Jdpathy

Very nice guys, thats going to help out alot, I was actually trying to find some pictures that an older member posted showing the where they mount the frame and how they had ovaled out. As you can see from the first two pics that JDpathy posted you can see big nut I was referring to and how theres two bushings per side.

Edit: Im lucky enough to have my mounts still in a circle. And, as a warning to everybody, dont go airborne without adding some gusseting to the mounts or they will bend back, into your torsion bar, dont ask how I know.

Edited by FLApathy

Guest SuperSon

Thanks for all the pix guys. This made it so much easier for me to locate that rod and do some trouble shooting.

In replacing this bushings,Do I have to jack the pathy up by the frame to release some tension on that rod ?

JD, Did you order those bushings from the dealer.I didnt know that they are pricey.

Thanks so much guys :aok:

P.S Just an idea guys. Just in case the plate where the rod mounts to is ovaled, Can you probably trace that part and have a piece of plate cut to that dimension and have the holes drilled to the same diameter as the metal sleeves and welded on insted of taking out the whole bracket ?

Edited by SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Ok guys I just made a call to autozone to check on this part and Im a bit confused so as the guy at autozone . He calss it strut rod.

What Im going to do is go down there and he said that theres a pic of it. It cost $13 per side

I am not sure what the strut rod is Nissan told me I had to replace mine but I didn't know what it was, so I didn't but I know that the compression rod bushings are not strut rods. Yeah I ordered the bushings from the dealer. If you want I can dig up some part numbers for you. My mounts were ovalled and I just installed the bushings without fixing it at all I thought about putting some kind of washer on there because i wasn't sure whether there would be a lot of up and down movement, but I decided not to. :nono:

I think that the strut rods have something to do with your sway bar. I think that they might be your uprise bolts.

Oh yeah on two wheel drive models the compresson rods are referred to as tension rods

Edited by Jdpathy