difference between maxima vg30 and pathy

speedbuggy67

I went offroading at www.paragonap.com this weekend in pa and the pathy did great but someone there asked me an interesting question regarding the vg30 used in the pathy and the maxima. he said that the the internals of the two engines were the same and the maxima had 170hp and pathy only 150 and the added power was only from a diff ecu and exhaust. doesn't sound right to me but i'll throw the question out there. Sounds like a diff cam was used but i don' t know. Anyone have a solid answer?

Scott

ps paragon was a great place to offroad i'd highly recommend. i went with a buddy with a new 4dr frontier 265hp lifted 2.5in on 33in bfg at's and my pathy performed flawlessly even when the water went over the headlights. Not one clunk on the rocks not one bump on the diffy. I got quite a few compliments on my driving (thanks to 15+years of atv riding i'd guess and learning how to pick a line) the open diff jeeps and new fjcruisers didn't have anything on the old 210k miles 92path.

intakes...oil pan..oil pickup...dipstick tube and water pumps (unless u change the housing for the t belt) if not then get a hard body 2wd wp...im pretty sure there is no diff in the heads i believe its the fuel delivery and ecu programing that give the maxmia the boost... ohh yea nad the 1 i got had red valve covers (that oculd be the boost right there) i dont have that 100% confirmed but im pretty sure thats hwat i've heard and i didnt see any diff in the cams...

i did the swap and never ran it...dropped in a 95 instead so i have a maxima converted to pathy...might be going up for sale soon...

(that was an 86 maxima to an 87 pathy but u could go to a 95 with it)

Edited by unccpathfinder

intakes...oil pan..oil pickup...dipstick tube and water pumps (unless u change the housing for the t belt) if not then get a hard body 2wd wp...im pretty sure there is no diff in the heads
Distributor and Pathy Injectors... did not want to rewire all the Max stuff...

Thats about all I swapped out... Added in some Thorleys... Its definately got more power than my 95... Then again it always did even with the old motor without the thorleys.....

Would sure be nice ot have those extra 20 ponies with an injection mod and ecu mod but unfortunately the ecu's much be quite different. I can't imagine them being interchangable or...... ? how nice would that be get a maxima ecu and enjoy 20hp. That would put new meaning to buying one of those ebay "super chips" people keep asking about.

Scott

• 1 month later...

i dont think its that easy...as plug and pray...if you carefully went thru and compared the harnesses and wiring diagrams i imagine u could make it work...with enough time and $ u can do anything...

are there any nissan ECU's that can be flashed/programed/tuned or whatever u wanna call it...if so i'd try to make that work so u could set up different operating conditions...1 of my buddies did it on his trans am for different conditions at the drag strip and then for gas milage when hes on the road...and a setup for when they plug it into the OBDII so it passes without a maf, egr and all of that stuff...

just a thought?