Bushings look fudged!

ILoveMyPatty

Okay well, I'm sure most of you know about my wierd sway that's happening. I would assume THIS would be the cause of the problem?

Drivers side

Rearsusp002.jpg

Rearsusp009.jpg

Passenger side

Rearsusp006.jpg

The drivers side looks a little... odd, doesn't it? I can move the arm with my hand if I put some force into it.

Good, I'm glad I found it. Don't know why I didn't take a look sooner... but oh well.

While I'm replacing these, would it be a good idea to replace the Panhard rod bushings and possibly LCA bushings?

On AC it says that you need four trailing arm bushing kits to do a complete replace. There are two bushings per kit, that equals eight total. I only see four that need to be replaced?....

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/i...9a4333145e7008a

OoooOOoooh... Maybe I can cut down on labor costs by removing them myself. Looks pretty easy with the bushings like that... :lol:

Edited by ILoveMyPatty

so uhmm...what is it SUPPOSED to look like?

First off the control arms should be prtty well centered on the bushing. By seeing more rubber on one side than the other, it leads me to beleive that the midle of the bushing (made of rubber on the ones shown) has come loose from the outer part of the bushing (made of metal).

These are supposed to be fused together and after time rust and wear makes them break loose.

Denis

OoooOOoooh... Maybe I can cut down on labor costs by removing them myself. Looks pretty easy with the bushings like that... :lol:

I did mine myself. They're pretty easy if you have a press and an air hammer.

Even if it looks like yours are ready to fall off themselves, there is an outer metal steeve that is still inside you control arm. The bushing is made with an inner metal cylinder (where the bolt goes through) a mid rubber bushing (the piece you on the pics that looks offset) and an outer metal case/cylinder that fits tight inside the control arm.

If you have an air chisel the outer part of the bushing can be pushed out or cut to ease the removal. I was lucky and had a press on hand to reinstal. Someone might have some tricks for reinstalling.

Denis

And ya JJ.... I think that is a Dead Sheep. Or perhaps the remains of a Yeti.

Dowser

Haha what on earth are you guys talking about?

The bags of bottles and cans worth a pretty penny?

Oh and, it's just the two lower arm bushings that look worn. While I'm replacing them should I go ahead and replace the upper arm bushings as well? They look fine to me...?

Edited by ILoveMyPatty

Start with the lowers... if you have any patience or energy left, then do the uppers.

I found mine to be a biatch. I did all 8 in one day, but my ears were ringing and my hands numb from 2 hours of constant hammering with air hammer and chisel...

Yup. Jack it up just enough to unload and take the control arms out. Doing one at a time helps keep the axle in place and makes it easier to get them back in.

And taking the arms out is very easy compared to pressing the bushings out of the arms. They are an interferance fit and fought me all the way out. My 12 ton arbor press wouldn't even budge 'em - hence the air hammer and chisel. Torch the rubber and push the inner bushing shell out, soak with PB, and then start folding the outer shell in on itself (like a reverse peel of a banana). Once about half of the shell was folded in on itself, they would finally start sliding out. About 10 minutes of hammering per shell, using an IR commercial hammer and 100 psi.

I put the new bushings in the freezer for a couple hours to shrink them as much as possible, then quickly coated with antisieze and pushed them in with the arbor press.

mine were worse then that, they had no rubber at all. AC sells poly bushings but i also bent one of my control arms, i just decided to buy 2 new trailing arms. it was going to cost me $110USD but sense the dealership calls me a regular i got them for $75USD each. you also have to buy new hardware, you will probably have to cut your bolts off.

alex

see my post under "02 sensor" stuff....I had just replaced my lower control arm bushings because one was blown out causing my rear end to wiggle all over the road. My mechanic said you cant do an alignment on the vehicle until those bushing are replaced since its allowing movement of the axle.

It took some work but got it done. Did all 4 in one night. If you dont have a air hammer or chisel, a Sawz-All with a small metal cutting blade on it will work fine to cut the outer metal sleeve on the busing so it will then just pop right out instead of pounding away with a hammer and possibly damaging the arm.

then I had to grind out the holes of the arms just a bit so the new busings would fit in place. There was no way in hell they would just pop into the arm with pounding or forcing it....as it would damage the new bushings. I used a big screwdriver and hammer to cut out the rubber part of the bushings on the old ones, then put the arms in a vice to hold them in place while I did the cutting and grinding, then the new ones, with a touch of lubricant, would fit nicely, then back on the pahty they went. MAN what difference now! rides like new again, especially after the alignment was done, new sway bar bushings front and back, and new tires.

I checked my panhard rod bushings and they were fine.

I removed one arm at a time to do the work. My upper ones are still the originals and I am debating doing all that work again for them, even though they look ok, or just saying screw it and ordering new upper arms and just slapping them on.

-Chris.

ps...I ordered my bushings from ROCK AUTO PARTS (www.rockautoparts.com) and they were great! all 4 for the lower control arms were about $62.00 and I got them in about 2 days.

HA! one nissan dealership parts dept guy I called barely had a clue about anything and half the time he was asking questions about parts that had nothing to do with the control arms. I think when God was handing out brains, he was at the fairground arcade playing Pac Man.