Can you tell me what this is?

jaafallon

I'm in the process of fixing two broken exhaust manifold studs. I wish now that i'd just forked over the money to the dealer, but thats hindsight. Anyway, when I took the head off, I turned it upside down to drian some fluid. When I turned it back over I found two metal rings (they look like small, short pipe) .4 inch long and about .35 in diameter. There are two "holes" in the head that they appear to fit into, but I'm not sure that a good way to determine what they are or where they go. I'll try to attach photos and see if someone recognizes them and can tell me where they need to be when I put this thing back together.

Thanks all,

jim

:shrug:

post-5-1082841978.jpg

There is nothing on the inside of the valve cover that would apparently hold these. By the way, in the bottom picture, I have placed the two rings where they seem to fit, but it isn't so obvious that I'm satisfied I have it right.

jim

wish I stilll had my old heads so I could look at them and tell you right away ... I looked in both my Haynes, Chilton and on AllData and couldn't find a clear enough picture or exploded view that showes anything ... however given the nature of those holes they would definately need something to go over it ...

Does the engine block have recesses in it that those would go in? Otherwise known as "guide pins" or something like that...I know the last time I took the head off my Datsun it had two little pins like that that were for lining up the head properly when reassembling it.

It does have guide pins but thats not what these are for. Hopefully someone will know what the rings are. Actually though, I'm probably going to have to take the valve cover off the other head anyway, so I'll just look for the rings on that head. Assuming I do find them, I'll post the answer. It'll probably be awhile before I get to it.

Thanks

jim

It is a lot of work and the books I have on doing it are not perfect. I tried to drill it out without removing the head but my drill kept "walking sideways" and so ... After I got the head out I drilled on the broken stud for at least 20 minutes with a cobalt bit (7/64th) and have barely nade a dent in it so I'm now taking it to a local machine shop and going to pay the pros to get the two studs out.

jim

:takebow: I talked to the machinest who I asked to get the broken studs out. He said the "mystery rings" are used as indexing posts when I put the part that goes on top of the head back on. I apologize for my ignorance, but I think its part of the lifters system, I just don't know the correct terminology. Bottom line is, the MRs (mystery rings) go exactly where I have marked in the photos accompanying my original post. He said two of the bolts will go right through them. Makes sense once somebody knows and explains it to you.

Hope this is of some help to others. Thanks to all of you for your input.

jim (never taking a head off again :( ) anderson

One last piece of info. It turns out, per my machinist, that the reason I couldn't drill a hole in the stud is that someone had tried before me and broken off a piece of tool-steel in it. Probably a drill bit. I couldn't see it but that would explain my difficulties. He charged me $25.00 to remove the two broken studs and put a helicoil in the one I had screwed up. Money well spent.

Now all I have to do is put this darn thing back together. Between the weather , other interests, and lack of interest its been about eight weeks since I started taking it apart. Hope I can find all the pieces.

jim

I am pretty sure those are allignement guides for your heads. They go into recesses of 2 of the head bolts in the heads and block; one in the front and one in the back, top and bottom (catty-corner from each other) They fit in the underside of your head (cardboard side in your pic) Look for two larger holes. Just one look and that was my feeling but it has been a while..Hope that helps.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I think its part of the lifters system, I just don't know the correct terminology.  Bottom line is, the MRs  (mystery rings) go exactly where I have marked in the photos accompanying my original post.  He said two of the bolts will go right through them.

Yes, I did see that but he also said the above. I don't think MRs go where he points to on his pics. They go on the underside and he seems to think they are part of the lifters which I do not thus my clarification.

:)