upper ball joint replacement

seanj

92 xev6 4x4 by the manual they look like a bolt in affair. i,ve been burned more than once by those manuals though. so what i want to know is what does it really take to do the job. the book says to unbolt, use a ball joint separator (the forked type?) to knock it loose then install new ball joint and torque bolts to so and so ftlbs and you're done. is it really that simple? the only bolt in ball joints i've delt with have been on import cars. i'm not intimidated by the job at all as long as i have the tools to do it. thanks for any help

Mine were actually exactly your book description, nice and easy. Lift, loosen nut a bit, break it loose with a pickle fork, loosen bolts, remove and replace. Straight forward as can be. Word is the lowers are much more in depth.

pretty much. it's a little bit of hassle getting the thing back together so have good large clamp handy. don't over torque the 4 bolts!

I found that a good long pry bar through the upper A arm works just as good if not better than a clamp to reinstall.

Just my 2 cents!

Denis

when me and wheelman did his it was my 1st experience and it SUCKED...we did upper and lower and the seperator wasnt tall enough so i ahd to put a wrench on either side of it to give it enough lift to seperate...

then 1 of the sockets on the upper on the driver side busted..so we hacksawed it in half then held it with vice grips and got the castle nut off...took us like 3.5 hrs or 4 to do all 4 of those and rotors and calipers and SST brake lines...

but now i know the tricks i had to do and am ready to do it again...

Rather than using a clamp to get the upper balljoint back into place, just jack up the lower control arm so that it's almost level, then getting the upper balljoint in place is easier.