Timing belt tension

radar

Hi again, have done a fair amount of reading on the topic, installing a timing belt this weekend, I am confused by the ref to using feeler gauge between the tensioner and the timing belt. How do you set the tension in this way, I would expect zero clearance under tension, my thoughts are I will set it for about the same tension (feel) as the belt I am removing. Any tips are appreciated, first time on this job and am a bit nervous of this step, thks, John.

the feeler gages is how i did.. no problemo.. search for 88pathofforad post about another method.. i am thinking it was something to the effect that you should be barely able to turn the belt 90 degrees in the middle of the longest leg at the proper tension.. not completely sure but if yee search.. yee shall find.

Ok, 90 degs sounds good, I have pretty strong hands so this will probably result in me over tightening a bit, too be on the safe side, will run the engine for a short time before I bolt it back together, if it whines, will back it off a bit more. So this tensioner, is it locked in position and never moves after or is the spring actually providing tension against the belt, haven't tore it apart yet, almost sounds like the spring is doing nothing.